
| A US soldier and two Chinese soldiers are photographed as Major General Stephen Lyons (right) of the US Army, Pacific is shown talking on a screen at a press conference at the end of a two-day military exercise in Chengdu on Friday. AFP PHOTO |
CHENGDU, China: The Chinese and US militaries held joint disaster response exercises Friday, as Beijing increases its global reach and Washington continues its “pivot” to the Pacific.
The joint drill, which saw officers from both nations express hopes for closer ties, came amid rising concerns in Japan, the Philippines and Vietnam over China’s territorial claims in disputed seas.
During the mock drills at a Chinese military base on the outskirts of Chengdu the two sides worked together on computer-generated disaster scenarios—in fictionalized countries.
“China and the US are separated by the Pacific Ocean. Our two militaries joining hands . . . answers to the aspirations of the two sides,” Tang Fen, of the People’s Liberation Army, told reporters after the two-day exercise finished.
“This plays a very important role in relations between our two nations and two militaries.”
US Major General Stephen Lyons said: “If there is a country out there, and inevitably there will be, that will have a natural disaster, and they call for international help, if US forces and Chinese forces respond, then indeed we’ll find ourselves working together in the field.”
Earlier this week visiting US navy secretary Ray Mabus welcomed China to participate in future US-led joint naval exercises, and reiterated an invitation made by Defense Secretary Leon Panetta when he visited in September.
“The Chinese side thanks the US side for the invite, and will give it positive consideration,” Geng Yansheng, spokesman for the Chinese defence ministry, said in remarks posted on its website Friday.
The US invitation comes as Washington tries to reassure Beijing over its strategic “pivot” to the Pacific, while China is becoming increasingly assertive in territorial disputes with several of its neighbors—with new passports showing its claims causing diplomatic rows this week.
China said Sunday one of its fighter jets had landed on its new aircraft carrier for the first time, a move that extends Beijing’s ability to project military might.
Tensions between China and Japan, a US ally, have risen dramatically in recent months over islands in the East China Sea which Beijing claims and calls the Diaoyus and Tokyo, which administers them, names the Senkakus.
Beijing is locked in similar rows with Vietnam and the Philippines over disputed territory in the South China Sea.
At a key Communist Party congress earlier this month, outgoing President Hu Jintao urged China to push forward fast-paced military modernization and set the goal of becoming a “maritime power.”
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:277
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters
Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:91
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter
President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:66
By : AFP
Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:75
By : AFP
This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:557
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST
Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN It’s certainly a... Read more