checkmate

Congress OKs P35 billion sin tax revenue target for 2013

A militant protesting the sin tax bill lights a cigarette outside the House of Representatives in Quezon City on Thursday. The House approved the revenue target for the bill which has been called antipoor and a threat to farmers in the country’s tobacco growing provinces. PHOTO BY MIGUEL DE GUZMAN

 

 

 

 

Congress has pegged the target government revenue from the proposed sin tax measure at P35
billion by next year, it was learned on Thursday.


This developed after the Bicameral Conference Committee on the sin tax bill agreed to a P35-billion target state revenue from the sin tax measure, which seeks to hike taxes on tobacco and alcohol/liquor products.

Of the P35 billion, 70 percent will come from tobacco products, while the remainder will be imposed on liquors.

Sen. Ferdinand “BongBong” Marcos Jr., who hails from tobacco-dependent Ilocos Norte province, made the disclosure at the sidelines of the Bicameral Conference Committee meeting on the sin tax bill held at the House of Representatives.

“We are yet to agree on everything but so far, we have agreed that the incremental revenue for next year will be at P35 billion. The only option that we had is the one that brought down the taxes on alcohol products compared with tobacco [products]. For 2013, the burden sharing on tobacco and alcohol will be 70-30, but I suspect that it [tobacco tax] would go up to as much as 90 percent by 2017. This [measure] is getting worse,” Marcos said in an interview.

The House version targets a P31.5-revenue, less than the Senate’s P39.5 billion expectation.
“So far, this [P35 billion] has been adopted by both Houses,” Marcos added.

Marcos then argued that if the administration really intends the Palace-backed sin tax measure to improve the health of the citizenry, the taxes on tobacco and alcohol products should increase at the same time so that we reduce those who smoke and drink.

“Their assumptions are wrong. At present, not a lot of people buy a pack of cigarettes worth P28—an amount provided in the sin tax. So, they will have nothing to collect. That’s the problem,” Marcos added, referring to the Department of Finance, which he claims backs the House version of the sin tax.

The Senate version of the measure proposed a 60-40 burden sharing system for tobacco and alcohol.

The 70-30 burden sharing scheme, Marcos stressed, would kill the tobacco industry.

“I don’t agree with the burden sharing but they don’t care. At this rate, they would kill the industry, put 2.5 million out of work. I don’t know if that is the intention but that will be the effect,” Marcos said.

“Yes, cigarette smoking is a health issue, but so is drinking alcohol. If you go easy on the alcohol taxes and go hard on tobacco, you are discouraging smokers but encouraging people to drink alcohol. That is not consistent,” Marcos added in closing.

Headlines

Melad blames Marantan for Quezon bloodshed

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:274
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters

Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN       Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more

Aquino not certifying FOI bill as urgent

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:91
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter

President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO     Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:65
By : AFP

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:75
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Gun business booms under Aquino

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:557
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST

Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN         It’s certainly a... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC