Arce vows to extend Mexicans’ celebration

| Nonito Donaire of the Philippines (left) and Jorge Arce of Mexico (right) pose on stage after their official weigh-in at the PlazAmericas Mall on Friday in Houston, Texas. AFP PHOTO |
Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire Jr. will defend his World Boxing Organization (WBO) super bantamweight belt against Mexican Jorge Arce on Saturday (Sunday in Manila) at the Toyota Center in Houston Texas, USA.
“You can expect the best of me because I really feel great. I’m excited,” the 30-year-old Donaire told boxing website www.philboxing.com.
Donaire (30-1 win-loss card with 19 knockouts) is entering the bout at 121.5 pounds, while Arce (60-6-2 slate with 46 KOs) tipped the scales at 122 pounds.
Donaire is in for a serious fight as Arce is keen on extending the Mexicans’ celebration promising he would knock out The Filipino Flash. Just last Sunday, Juan Manuel Marquez scored a sixth round knockout victory against Filipino ring icon Manny Pacquiao. Prior to his sound defeat to Marquez, Pacquiao earned the moniker “Mexecutioner” for beating several Mexican pugs such as Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales and Oscar de la Hoya. Pacquiao though rejected the “Mexecutioner” tag.
“What happened last week in Las Vegas with Pacquiao and Marquez is going to happen again. Although he is the best fighter out there, I will surprise all of you. “I will knockout Donaire too,” Arce, 33, told espn.com writer Dan Rafael.
