Donaire ends Arce’s career

| Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire of the Philippines (right) hits Jorge Arce of Mexico during their WBO World Super Bantamweight bout at the Toyota Center on December 15. AFP PHOTO |
Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire knocked out four-division champion Jorge Arce of Mexico with a left hook in the final seconds of the third round to retain his World Boxing Organization super bantamweight title at the Toyota Center in Houston, Texas.
With that powerful punch, Donaire ended the boxing career of Arce, who vowed to retire.
The hard-hitting Donaire decked Arce midway in the second round with a flurry of punches and again in the third round before knocking him flat on his back with his vaunted left hook.
It was the fourth straight wins this year for Donaire, considered the heir apparent to the great Manny “PacMan” Pacquiao and a top candidate for 2012 Fighter of the Year.
Donaire, who improved to 31-1 with his 20th knockout win, was completely in control of the fight before a raucous, mostly pro-Arce crowd of 7,250 at the Toyota Center.
Arce, a slugger and former four-division world champion, dropped to 61-7-2 and is reported to be contemplating retirement.
It was also payback of sorts for Filipino boxing fans who grieve the stunning sixth-round knockout of Pacquiao last week to Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez.
“I went out and pretty much timed him,” Donaire said. “We wanted to slow him down and get him thinking he could get in there. We knew he would open up.
“I’ve never really gone and hit with the left hook, but I knew I was going to go out there and give it everything, no matter what.”
“There were a lot of fans who were like, ‘You have got to get him. This is for the Philippines.’ I hope they can be proud of what I did,” Donaire added.
Arce said that it was the final fight of his career.
“My career is over. I’m leaving after losing to the best man,” Arce said. “He is very good. He has power. He can finish the fight at any moment.
“I promised my family if I lost I would leave. I retire to go home and watch the fights on TV.”
Donaire scored a knockdown of Arce with a powerful straight right hand about a minute into the second round, forcing the challenger to touch his gloves and a knee to the canvas.
The 30-year-old Filipino has beaten four world champions this year—Puerto Rican Wilfredo Vasquez Jr. by split decision, South African Jeffrey Mathebula by unanimous decision and Japanese Toshiaki Nishioka by 9th round technical knockout (TKO).
In a career that is increasingly following Pacquiao’s path, the Filipino Flash also has not lost to a Mexican opponent and has now vanquished the best in his weight divisions.
Apart from Arce, Donaire has beaten 13 other top Mexican prizefighters: Fernando Montiel (TKO 2nd round), Hernan Marquez (TKO 8th round), Manuel Vargas (KO 3rd round), Luis Maldonado (TKO 8th round), Oscar Andrade (unanimous decision), Jose Luis Cardenas (TKO 2nd round), Daniel Gonzales (KO 1st round), Paulino Villalobos (TKO 6th round), Gilberto Bolanos (unanimous decision), Ricardo Barreras (TKO 4th round), Jorge Lopez (TKO 1st round), Jose Luis Torres (TKO 1st round) and Jose Lazaro (KO 1st round).
Welcome victory
Malacañang, in congratulating Donaire, said that his victory made up for the loss suffered by Pacquiao in the hands of Marquez.
“It’s a welcome victory not just for Filipino sports fans but for all Filipinos,” Palace deputy spokesman Abigail Valte said, adding that Donaire’s win was also a welcome break from the loss of the Philippine Azkals in the semi-finals of the AFF Suzuki Cup.
“At least sana mapasaya ng panalong ito ang mga kababayang nagkaroon ng low morale when it comes to sports. [We hope this can lift the spirits of our people from recent morale-crushing developments],” she added
Vice President Jejomar Binay also congratulated Donaire.
“I congratulate Nonito Donaire on his very impressive victory over Jorge Arce,” he said, adding that the Flash will bring pride to Filipinos and to the nation for many years to come.
“Nonito once again displayed admirable skill, discipline, strength and courage,” he added.
WITH REPORTS FROM CATHERINE VALENTE, RITCHIE A. HORARIO AND AFP
