checkmate

Manila Water to put up more wastewater treatment plants

Ferdinand dela Cruz, group director of Manila Water’s corporate strategic affairs and Jeric Sevilla, corporate communications head, explain the company’s projects during a roundtable with editors of The Manila Times on Friday. PHOTO BY Mike de juan


MANILA Water Company Inc., the water distributing unit of Ayala Corp., said on Friday that it would allocate a larger portion of its capital spending for the next 10 years for the putting up of wastewater treatment plants.



Jeric Sevilla, Manila Water’s corporate communications head, said in a roundtable discussion with
The Manila Times that they plan to add 25 more wastewater plants to the 38 they had already put up.

Since this is still subject to the approval of its regulator, the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS), the company could not say what would be the exact investment cost. However, he estimated that the 25 additional plants would cost about P50 billion.

He said that Manila Water inherited only two such treatment plants from MWSS when it won the contract to distribute water in 1997.

The 63 plants, including the additional 25 to be put up to treat wastewater, would lessen pollution in the rivers of Metro Manila. Sevilla noted that about three years ago, the Supreme Court came out with a landmark ruling in a Writ of Kalikasan case, directing MWSS to treat wastewater flowing to Manila Bay, the Pasig River and other rivers in Metro Manila.

He said that although the court’s decision was directed at MWSS, Manila Water as concessionaire would have to implement it. He added that the wastewater plants would be put up for major rivers such as the cities of Pasig, San Juan and Marikina.

He stressed that even with the treatment plants, these rivers would still not be safe for swimming “unless factories along the banks of the rivers are removed.”

Ferdinand dela Cruz, group director of Manila Water’s corporate strategic affairs, said that some of their waste water projects are on-going at the Libingan ng mga Bayani complex and in Taguig City.

Meanwhile, dela Cruz said that they are also eyeing more investments outside the country in the coming years. He said that the success of Manila Water in reducing water systems loss from 63 per cent to 11 per cent had made the firm more attractive to foreign partners.

The amount of water saved in the reduction of systems loss, according to de la Cruz and Sevilla, is equivalent to about 750 million liters a day.

Dela Cruz said that their success in reducing systems loss in Metro Manila was one of the reasons why they ventured in 2008 into a five-year system loss reduction program in Vietnam.

He said that Manila Water would be expanding its business in Vietnam from the system loss reduction program to distribution projects. This echoed the earlier announcement of Manila
Water President Gerry Ablaza at the sidelines of the Ho Chi Minh City-Manila City Investment and Trade Promotion Seminar and Business Matching.

“We are looking into potential distribution projects also in Ho Chi Minh City but we would also have to get a clearance from Sawaco [Saigon Water Co.] [which] is in charge of water distribution in Ho Chi Minh City,” Ablaza said.

He added that the project has recovered over 70,000 cubic meter of water per day lost from leakage, and once completed, will benefit over 120,000 households in Ho Chi Minh’s Zone 1.

Meanwhile, Sevilla said that the increase in the water rates set to start on January 1, 2013 would only add 1 percent to the monthly water bill of its consumers.

“This will be effective on January 1 but it will affect the consumers only in February,” he said.

Headlines

Melad blames Marantan for Quezon bloodshed

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:265
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters

Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN       Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more

Aquino not certifying FOI bill as urgent

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:88
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter

President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO     Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:64
By : AFP

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:71
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Gun business booms under Aquino

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:557
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST

Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN         It’s certainly a... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC