
| WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange gestures as he addresses members of the media and supporters from the window of the Ecuadorian embassy in Knightsbridge, west London on December 20, 2012. AFP PHOTO |
LONDON: WikiLeaks will release one million documents next year affecting every country in the world, founder Julian Assange said in a speech from the balcony of the Ecuadorian embassy in London.
In a “Christmas message” marking six months since he sought asylum in the embassy to avoid extradition to Sweden over claims of rape and sexual assault, Assange also said the door was open to negotiations.
Assange said to cheers from around 100 supporters that despite spending half of 2012 holed up in the building it had been a “huge year” in which his anti-secrecy website had released documents about Syria and other topics.
“Next year will be equally busy. WikiLeaks has already over one million documents being prepared to be released, documents that affect every country in the world—every country in this world,” he said to applause.
The Australian former computer hacker thanked Ecuadorian President Rafael Correa for granting him asylum and hit out at the United States and other Western governments.
But the 41-year-old added that “the door is open, and the door has always been open, for anyone who wishes to speak to me” to resolve the situation. He raised his hand in a clenched fist salute at the end of the speech.
A statement issued by the Ecuadorian ambassador said: “At a time of year when people come closer together, Ecuador reaffirms the solidarity that our country gave six months ago to a person who was being persecuted for thinking and expressing themselves freely.
“Now is a moment for reflection and togetherness. On behalf of my country, I reiterate our support for Julian Assange . . . Julian has become a guest in this house that we all have learned to appreciate,” added the statement.
It was Assange’s first public appearance since he addressed a crowd from the same balcony—now festooned with fairy lights—on August 19 and Ecuadorian officials have since said that he is suffering from health problems.
Britain has refused to grant him safe passage to either Ecuador or to hospital, saying it has a legal obligation to extradite him to Sweden after Assange lost his final battle in the British courts in June.
Assange claims that if he is extradited to Sweden he could eventually be sent to the United States for prosecution over WikiLeaks’ controversial release of secret US military and diplomatic files. He says he could face life in prison or even the death penalty in the US.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:265
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters
Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:88
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter
President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:64
By : AFP
Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:71
By : AFP
This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:557
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST
Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN It’s certainly a... Read more