checkmate

Pacquiao eyes big comeback fight vs. JMM in September

Manny Pacquiao AFP FILE PHOTO

 

 

MANNY Pacquiao is bracing for a big comeback fight in September to redeem himself from the resounding loss he absorbed from his archrival Juan Manuel Marquez last month.


“When he returns in September, he must win his fight. That’s all. At 34, I believe he can still fight. He needs to prepare very well this year,” Pacquiao’s business adviser Rex “Wakee” Salud told The Manila Times on Monday in a telephone interview. “That would be absolutely good [if he wins].”

A possible fifth fight against Marquez awaits Pacquiao in September according to Top Rank Promotion head honcho Bob Arum.

The former pound-for-pound king though cannot book a bout any time soon because the Nevada State Athletic Commission suspended his boxing license for 90 days. The suspension aims to prevent any serious physical damage to Pacquiao who was knocked out soundly by Marquez in the sixth round of their fourth encounter.

Pacquiao also lost his World Boxing Organization welterweight title against unbeaten American Timothy Bradley via split decision in June last year.

But the veteran boxing promoter Salud said he believes that Pacquiao still got a lot of mileage in him but he must choose between politics and boxing.

“Pacquiao remains to be the strongest and fastest boxer of all time, but he needs to focus more on his boxing career. If he focuses very well, no one can beat Manny for sure,” Salud said.

Salud also believes that the much-awaited fight between Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. could still happen in 2014 simply because of its huge financial potential, “If you’ll look at it, the money is there. So I know it could still happen.”

Headlines

Melad blames Marantan for Quezon bloodshed

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:263
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters

Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN       Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more

Aquino not certifying FOI bill as urgent

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:85
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter

President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO     Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:62
By : AFP

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:71
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Gun business booms under Aquino

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:557
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST

Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN         It’s certainly a... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC