
| Venezuelan Vice President Nicolas Maduro (left) embraces the president of the Venezuelan National Assembly, Diosdado Cabello, outside the National Assembly in Caracas. AFP PHOTO |
CARACAS: Venezuelan leader Hugo Chavez’s allies staged a show of unity, reelecting the ruling party’s Diosdado Cabello as parliamentary speaker, while their president battles cancer in Cuba.
The closing of ranks by the United Socialist Party of Venezuela (PSUV) came as it emerged as all but certain that illness will keep Chavez from being sworn in to a new six-year term on Thursday as scheduled.
“The president will continue being president beyond January 10, nobody should have any doubt about that,” said Cabello after his election, accusing the opposition of fomenting a “coup d’etat.”
Vice President Nicolas Maduro called the swearing-in a “formality” and said that he too would stay on in office without taking any oath until there was an opportunity to do so.
Cabello’s reelection was intended in part to answer persistent rumors of a power struggle within the regime during Chavez’s more than three-week absence, the longest stretch in his 14-year presidency.
Chavez’s health was invoked by both Chavistas and members of the opposition, who criticized the ruling party for refusing to engage in inclusive dialogue as the oil-rich country enters a period of high uncertainty.
“It is not only the head of state who is sick, the Republic is sick,” said opposition deputy Hiran Gaviria. “The public finances are exhausted, there are shortages, inflation, excessive indebtedness, personal insecurity.”
In a display of legislative muscle, ruling party deputies used their majority to elect an all-Chavista leadership, beginning with Cabello, a former military officer who is regarded as the country’s third most powerful man.
Outside the National Assembly, hundreds of Chavistas, dressed in the flaming red of his socialist revolution, chanted for their cancer-stricken leader with almost religious fervor.
Chavez, 58, is recovering in Havana from his fourth and most difficult round of cancer surgery, his condition clouded by serious complications that have raised doubts about his fitness to serve.
So far, he has refused to relinquish the office, leaving Maduro in charge of running the country without transferring the full powers of the presidency. In a speech to supporters outside the National Assembly, Maduro said that he would remain as vice president.
On Friday, arguing for continuity, Maduro laid out a legal rationale for indefinitely delaying Chavez’s swearing-in without his giving up the powers of the presidency, even on a temporary basis.
The country’s main opposition coalition insists that Chavez must take at least a temporary leave if his health keeps him from taking the oath of office in January 10 as established by Venezuela’s constitution.
Under the constitution, new elections must be held within 30 days if the president dies or is permanently incapacitated either before he takes office or in the first four years of his six-year term.
But Maduro rejected opposition calls for Chavez to be declared temporarily incapacitated if he fails to show up for the swearing-in on Thursday.
With a pocket-sized constitution in hand, Maduro argued that the charter provides “a dynamic flexibility” that allows the president to take the oath of office before the Supreme Court at some later date.
Analyst Luis Vicente Leon said that nothing can stop Chavez from staying in the presidency after January 10.
“There are no independent institutions nor solid political organizations that can prevent a suspended swearing-in,” he said in a tweet Saturday.
Chavez was re-elected on October 7 despite his debilitating battle with cancer and the strongest opposition challenge yet to his 14-year rule in Venezuela, an OPEC member with the world’s largest proven oil reserves.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:262
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters
Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:85
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter
President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:62
By : AFP
Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:71
By : AFP
This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:556
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST
Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN It’s certainly a... Read more