checkmate

Palace confirms Ramos quitting NDRRMC

National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) Chief Benito Ramos was teary eyed while announcing his resignation at a press conference at the NDRRMC headquarters in Camp Aguinaldo, Quezon City on Friday. PHOTO BY MIGUEL DE GUZMAN


MALACAñANG on Friday confirmed the resignation of Benito Ramos as the executive director of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).



In a text message, Strategic Communications secretary Ramon Carandang said that Ramos had already submitted his letter of resignation dated January 8 to Defense Secretary Volatire Gazmin. He added, however, that President Benigno Aquino 3rd had not yet acted on the letter.
“I don’t think it has been officially accepted yet,” he said

Carandang said that Ramos resigned to attend to his ailing wife who is said to have diabetes.
The resignation of Ramos is supposed to take effect on February 1.

Ramos served with the Armed Forces of the Philippines for over three decades before he retired in 2007 with the rank of major general. In 2010, Mr. Aquino appointed him to the Office of Civil Defense and later, as executive director of the Disaster agency.

Ramos, described as one of the most hardworking heads of the council, is the first undersecretary to open the council’s operation center to media. Previously, reporters and media workers were barred from entering the center.

As NDRRMC head, Ramos saw the worst typhoons to hit the Philippines—Ondoy (Ketsana) in 2009, Sendong (Washi) in 2011 and Pablo (Bopha) in 2012.

In the past three years, he was the public face of government preparations for numerous disasters and weather upheavals, being the source of warnings and updates about them. He also headed all relief, rescue and recovery operations that followed the devastations wrought by the natural calamities.

Headlines

Melad blames Marantan for Quezon bloodshed

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:217
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters

Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN       Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more

Aquino not certifying FOI bill as urgent

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:78
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter

President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO     Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:58
By : AFP

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:63
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Gun business booms under Aquino

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:548
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST

Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN         It’s certainly a... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC