
| Rafael Nadal AFP FILE PHOTO |
MELBOURNE: World No. 1 Novak Djokovic Saturday warned Rafael Nadal’s injury woes showed the Grand Slam stranglehold exerted by the top men’s tennis players was not unbreakable.
Djokovic starts his bid for a third straight Australian Open title next week, a feat which is unprecedented in the professional era and would extend a record in which the top four have won all
but one of the last 30 Grand Slams.
But the Serb said that Nadal’s extended absence with knee problems proved that tennis remained unpredictable—and that there were a host of players waiting to take advantage if the top men falter.
“I think we cannot predict anything. It’s individual sport, so it only depends from you. Anybody can have what Nadal has at this moment,” Djokovic said in Melbourne.
“That’s why you have to be so committed and professional for daily routines. Small details matter for long term, the preparations you do, the practice, the recovery.
“If you are injured, you’re off the tour. Your ranking is going down.”
Argentina’s Juan Martin del Potro is the only man besides Djokovic, Nadal, Roger Federer and Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam tournament since 2005.
Nadal, an 11-time Grand Slam winner, missed much of last season with ongoing knee problems, and announced his withdrawal from the Australian Open last month citing a stomach bug.
“It’s probably expected that the three of us, and Nadal of course, would still be main candidates to win all the major titles,” Djokovic said.
“But, you know, I wouldn’t underestimate del Potro, [Jo-Wilfried] Tsonga, [David] Ferrer, [Tomas] Berdych, anybody who is in the top 10. I’m sure there’s new young players coming up like [Bernard] Tomic, [Grigor] Dimitrov, [Milos] Raonic.”
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:214
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters
Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:77
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter
President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:56
By : AFP
Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:62
By : AFP
This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:547
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST
Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN It’s certainly a... Read more