At least 6.7 kilograms of methamphetamine hydrochloride, locally known as shabu, worth P33.5 million, were seized from a Thai tourist shortly after she arrived at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) terminal 1 aboard Emirates Airlines flight EK-332 from Dubai on Saturday afternoon.
Bureau of Customs (BOC) personnel stationed at NAIA said that suspect Napaporn Khamsa, 40, had been identified through her passport by Bureau of Immigration personnel, and was later escorted to the Customs area where she was immediately whisked to the interrogation room.
BOC District 3 Collector Carlos So said that the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) informed them that a foreigner would be bringing in an undetermined amount of illegal drugs to the Philippines.
The drugs were later found hidden inside a secret compartment of Khamsa’s luggage when inspected.
It was later confirmed to be shabu after PDEA and Customs authorities conducted a field test on the illegal stuffs.
Prior to her arrival, her passport records showed that she traveled as far as Ankara, Turkey; Kenya, Ghana, and later Dubai.
Customs Commissioner Rozzano Rufino “Ruffy” Biazon warned foreigners entering the country not to attempt to bring prohibited drugs into the country, saying that they would face the severe consequences of engaging in the illegal trade.
He said that severe punishment would be imposed on any violator of the country’s drug laws.
Recently, the Bureau of Customs filed criminal charges against seven foreign drug couriers caught in separate instances of bringing in shabu into the country.
Those charged were Indonesian national Franbcesca Jovian, Malaysians Tamil Selvi Veloo and Chandrar Nadarajan, Ooi Hock Guan; Vietnamese Duong Thi Yen; Nepalese Sun BAhadur Tamang and Singaporean Danny Boon Eng Ng.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:303
By : NEIL A. ALCOBER REPORTER
THE legal counsel of martial law human rights victims has chided the Philippine government, claiming that the biggest stumbling block for the compensation of the victims is the opposition from it and not from the Marcoses. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:218
By : WILLIAM B. DEPASUPIL
INCOMING chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista vowed on Wednesday to bring down the insurgency problem to a negligible level before the end of his tour of duty or before the Aquino administration vows... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:197
By : JING VILLAMENTE
Employees of the Agrarian Undersecretary Felix Perry Villanueva, Finance Management Office (FMAO) officer-in-charge, stormed his office on Tuesday, to condemned the purported militarization of the department’s perimeter. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:191
By : JOHN CONSTANTINE G. CORDON
EVEN if she is only holding an ad interim position in the Commission on Elections (Comelec), poll member Ma. Graciela “Grace” Padaca still believes that impeachment must first be initiated before she faces her corruption charge. Read more
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:331
By : JING VILLAMENTE REPORTER
The prosecution’s bid to turn into a state witness the backhoe operator who supposedly dug the graves of the massacre victims was opposed by the defense team handling the 2009 Maguindanao Massacre case. Read more