checkmate

Prime suspect allowed to visit Ramgen’s tomb

RAMON Joseph “RJ” Bautista, the principal suspect in the murder of actor Ramgen Revilla, was allowed by the court to visit his brother’s tomb in time for the latter’s first death anniversary next week.



Parañaque Regional Trial Court Branch 274 Judge Fortunito Madrona on Tuesday granted the motion of Atty. Jeffrey Gepte for RJ’s furlough to be with his family in visiting Ramgen’s tomb in time for his first death anniversary.

In his motion, Gepte said that RJ wanted to be with his siblings and mother, Genelyn Magsaysay in visiting Ramgen’s tomb at the Angelus Memorial Park in Imus City, Cavite on October 28.

However, Madrona only allowed RJ to temporarily leave his detention cell from 12:00 noon of October 28 until 6:00 p.m. and on condition that he should be accompanied by an escort from the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology or Parañaque City Jail.

RJ is charged with a non-bailable offense of murder and frustrated murder in connection with the slaying of his brother.

In an interview after the hearing, Magsaysay said that the commemoration of Ramgen’s first death anniversary will be private.

During the hearing, Janelle Manahan became emotional when she took the witness stand to reiterate her testimony linking the Revilla siblings in the murder of her boyfriend.

In her testimony, Manahan shed tears in recounting the occurrences when Ramgen was murdered in his residence in Parañaque City on October 28 last year.

She told the court that Ramgen’s sister, Ramona Bautista was at the vicinity when the murder took place and that the latter was the first to ask for help after Ramgen was shot but Ramona was accused of masterminding Ramgen’s murder where she initially claimed that she was abducted and later released by Ramgen’s killers.

But on November 4 last year, she fled the country after recanting her statement, which raised suspicions among investigators on her alleged involvement in the case.

Janelle further said that after Ramona volunteered to ask for help, the latter did not come back immediately, which prompted her to text her friends for assistance.

She also told the court that there were some instances when the Revilla siblings have differences and in one incident sometime in 2009, Ramgen poked Ramona with a gun during a heated argument.

Because Manahan became more emotional, her lawyer, private prosecutor Resty Mendoza requested the cort to continue the direct examination on November 6.

Manahan’s testimony was vehemently denied by Magsaysay, saying that her children would not plot against each other.

Ramgen is the oldest among the nine children of Magsaysay and former actor and senator Ramon Revilla Sr.

Nation

‘Govt blocks pay for human rights victims’

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:303
By : NEIL A. ALCOBER REPORTER

THE legal counsel of martial law human rights victims has chided the Philippine government, claiming that the biggest stumbling block for the compensation of the victims is the opposition from it and not from the Marcoses. Read more

Bautista vows to make leftist rebels irrelevant

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:218
By : WILLIAM B. DEPASUPIL

INCOMING chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista vowed on Wednesday to bring down the insurgency problem to a negligible level before the end of his tour of duty or before the Aquino administration vows... Read more

Workers air plaints vs. DAR official

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:197
By : JING VILLAMENTE

Employees of the Agrarian Undersecretary Felix Perry Villanueva, Finance Management Office (FMAO) officer-in-charge, stormed his office on Tuesday, to condemned the purported militarization of the department’s perimeter. Read more

Padaca opts for impeachment process

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:191
By : JOHN CONSTANTINE G. CORDON

EVEN if she is only holding an ad interim position in the Commission on Elections (Comelec), poll member Ma. Graciela “Grace” Padaca still believes that impeachment must first be initiated before she faces her corruption charge. Read more

Maguindanao gravedigger’s bid opposed

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:331
By : JING VILLAMENTE REPORTER

The prosecution’s bid to turn into a state witness the backhoe operator who supposedly dug the graves of the massacre victims was opposed by the defense team handling the 2009 Maguindanao Massacre case. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC