The Philippines is now running out of roadworthy public utility drivers, officials from various bus companies claimed on Wednesday.
In an interview with reporters, G Liner Board Director Leonardo Macapagal said that those drivers that are highly capable and safety-oriented have already went abroad in pursuit of greener pastures.
“Nagkukulang na ang drivers dito sa Pilipinas na totoong nakapag-undergo seminars at trainings. Lahat sila nagpupunta abroad (Drivers in the Philippines that have really undergone seminars and trainings are getting scarce. All of them are going abroad),” Macapagal said.
Asked for the reason why PUV drivers leave the country, Macapagal said that one of the main reasons is salary. “Poor pay is relative. Most of the drivers are working from 4a.m. up to 10 in the evening for them to earn a living,” he explained.
“But we try to implement eight hours of work,” he added.
For his part, Saint Rose Transit Inc. Executive Vice President Giovi Simundac affirmed Macapagal’s claim, saying that they are already going through the same fate.
He said that currently they are lacking in drivers as they are starting to lose their trained drivers since last year. “Although there are ones that are applying, we are still lacking drivers,” he said.
According to him, they are losing two drivers monthly on the average— those who are leaving for job overseas are aged 45 years and below.
“The salary abroad is comparatively much attractive than the pay here,” he claimed.
Earlier, the Department of Labor and Employment issued Department Order (DO) 118-12 enforcing a fixed wage system for public utility bus drivers and conductors which is eyed to cut down reckless and risk-taking attitude of drivers stemming from lack of income security.
MMDA records show bus-related incidents in Metro Manila numbered 5,103 in 2009, 6,749 in 2010, and 6,176 in 2011.
Earlier reports told that the bus groups such as Provincial Bus Operators Association of the Philippines, Southern Luzon Bus Operators Association, Inc., Inter City Bus Operators Association and the City of San Jose Del Monte Bus Operators Association have jointly filed their opposition on the fixed wage scheme at the Supreme Court.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:303
By : NEIL A. ALCOBER REPORTER
THE legal counsel of martial law human rights victims has chided the Philippine government, claiming that the biggest stumbling block for the compensation of the victims is the opposition from it and not from the Marcoses. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:218
By : WILLIAM B. DEPASUPIL
INCOMING chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista vowed on Wednesday to bring down the insurgency problem to a negligible level before the end of his tour of duty or before the Aquino administration vows... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:197
By : JING VILLAMENTE
Employees of the Agrarian Undersecretary Felix Perry Villanueva, Finance Management Office (FMAO) officer-in-charge, stormed his office on Tuesday, to condemned the purported militarization of the department’s perimeter. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:191
By : JOHN CONSTANTINE G. CORDON
EVEN if she is only holding an ad interim position in the Commission on Elections (Comelec), poll member Ma. Graciela “Grace” Padaca still believes that impeachment must first be initiated before she faces her corruption charge. Read more
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:331
By : JING VILLAMENTE REPORTER
The prosecution’s bid to turn into a state witness the backhoe operator who supposedly dug the graves of the massacre victims was opposed by the defense team handling the 2009 Maguindanao Massacre case. Read more