checkmate

Sandigan rejects merger of Neri, Abalos graft cases

THE Sandiganbayan has rejected the consolidation of two cases of two former high-ranking officials who are facing corruption charges over the $329-million national broadband network deal.


Citing difference in the stages of the two graft cases, the Sandiganbayan Fourth Division—which hears the graft case of former Commission on Elections chairman Benjamin Abalos—declined the move of another division, the Fifth Division, to consolidate with it the graft case of former Socioeconomic and Planning specretary Romulo Neri.

The Fourth Division magistrates ruled in a three-page resolution that they could not merge Neri’s case with Abalos’ because the graft case of the former poll chief is more advanced.

To date, prosecutors handling Abalos’ case already presented 16 out of its 66 listed witnesses. Fiscals litigating Neri’s case only presented six out of its 26 witnesses.

Prosecutors already rested the Abalos case. Fifth Division prosecutors, meanwhile, have not yet rested the case and opted to consolidate it with Abalos’ case.

However, the three-man justices of the Fourth Division headed by chairman and Associate Justice Gregory Ong declined.

“The Abalos case is so far advanced compared to the Neri case in terms of the relative stage or level of the proceedings,” the resolution read, considering that the Neri case held marathon trials.

The Fourth Division said that consolidation is allowed to avoid multiplicity of suits, prevent delay, clear congested dockets and guard against oppression, but can be denied if the move will subvert any of the purposes.

Also, the Fourth Division noted that Neri, through lawyer Paul Lentejas, opposed the consolidation.

Lentejas earlier said that the prosecutors of Fifth Division is running out of witnesses to present that is why they moved for the consolidation.

“The prosecution no longer had any witnesses to present and was forced to ask for postponements of the hearings. It is about to wrap up and finish its evidence,” the opposition read.

Lentejas noted the consolidation as a “ploy to delay proceedings.” The camp of Neri already raised the matter to the Supreme Court, following the go signal of the Fifth Division magistrates to consolidate the case with the Fourth.

Neri’s opposition was used as a ground to reject the consolidation. The Ong-led division noted in the pleadings of Neri that he “vehemently opposed to the consolidation,” asserting that the merger would be prejudicial to him as he was “a prinicipal and material witness in the Abalos case.”

“Accused Neri’s contention is well-taken,” the court said.

The magistrates said that they have already heard the testimony and seen the demeanor of Neri when he testified against Abalos and they do not want to use their “formed opinions” against Neri if the consolidation will push through.

“This court [Fourth Division] would not want accused Neri to entertain any doubt in his mind that such formed opinions might impact on the proper disposition of the Neri case where he stands as the accused himself,” the ruling read.

Approving the resolution are Associate Justices Jose Hernandez and Maria Cristina Cornejo, a contender at the vacant position at the Supreme Court.



Nation

‘Govt blocks pay for human rights victims’

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:303
By : NEIL A. ALCOBER REPORTER

THE legal counsel of martial law human rights victims has chided the Philippine government, claiming that the biggest stumbling block for the compensation of the victims is the opposition from it and not from the Marcoses. Read more

Bautista vows to make leftist rebels irrelevant

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:218
By : WILLIAM B. DEPASUPIL

INCOMING chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista vowed on Wednesday to bring down the insurgency problem to a negligible level before the end of his tour of duty or before the Aquino administration vows... Read more

Workers air plaints vs. DAR official

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:197
By : JING VILLAMENTE

Employees of the Agrarian Undersecretary Felix Perry Villanueva, Finance Management Office (FMAO) officer-in-charge, stormed his office on Tuesday, to condemned the purported militarization of the department’s perimeter. Read more

Padaca opts for impeachment process

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:191
By : JOHN CONSTANTINE G. CORDON

EVEN if she is only holding an ad interim position in the Commission on Elections (Comelec), poll member Ma. Graciela “Grace” Padaca still believes that impeachment must first be initiated before she faces her corruption charge. Read more

Maguindanao gravedigger’s bid opposed

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:331
By : JING VILLAMENTE REPORTER

The prosecution’s bid to turn into a state witness the backhoe operator who supposedly dug the graves of the massacre victims was opposed by the defense team handling the 2009 Maguindanao Massacre case. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC