THE Philippine National Police (PNP) chief, Director General Nicanor Bartolome, on Sunday ordered intensified operations to seize loose firearms during the remaining months leading to the May 2013 mid-term polls for secure and fair elections.
“By taking away these instruments of violence, we are effectively immobilizing the activities of some threat groups, criminal elements and partisan armed groups that may affect the otherwise peaceful outcome of the May 2013 polls,” Bartolome said.
Bartolome reported that the PNP has successfully confiscated more than 5,000 illegal firearms over the past 10 months of police operations.
A report from the PNP Directorate for Operations showed that a total of 4,976 loose firearms have been confiscated in separate police operations from January to October this year.
Bartolome noted that the firearms haul was equivalent to 69 percent or more than double that of the tally from last year’s operations covering the same period.
Bulk of the confiscated loose firearms (4,911) was recovered from criminal elements, while 158 were from threat groups.
The confiscation of these loose firearms was made through 1,914 Oplan “Bakal”/Oplan “Sita” operations, 80 internal security operations, 330 search warrant operations, and 476 checkpoint operations.
A total of 2,847 gun law violators were arrested in the 10-month police campaign
The PNP is also seeking to account for some 358,833 unregistered guns now deemed as loose firearms for failure of their owners to renew their gun licenses for more than two years.
Aside from the confiscation of loose firearms, a summary of PNP operational accomplishments over a six-month period from January to June 2012 revealed the arrest of 16,702 wanted persons, the surrender of 131 other wanted men and the slay of six others who resisted arrest.
The same report showed that 74 of those arrested belonged to the list of the PNP’s Top Most Wanted Persons.
Aside from the arrest of these wanted persons, the PNP also neutralized 91 criminal gangs and rounded-up 358 gang members in separate operations that also resulted in the confiscation of 90 assorted firearms.
PNP spokesman Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo, Jr. said that as a result of more aggressive police operations against wanted persons, loose firearms, and organized crime, the PNP confiscated 3,791 firearms from 2,561 unauthorized firearm holders by setting up checkpoints, conducting on-the-spot gun check operations, and serving search warrants.
A total of 80 loose firearms were confiscated from 231 arrested motorcycle-riding suspects involved in various street crimes.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:303
By : NEIL A. ALCOBER REPORTER
THE legal counsel of martial law human rights victims has chided the Philippine government, claiming that the biggest stumbling block for the compensation of the victims is the opposition from it and not from the Marcoses. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:218
By : WILLIAM B. DEPASUPIL
INCOMING chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista vowed on Wednesday to bring down the insurgency problem to a negligible level before the end of his tour of duty or before the Aquino administration vows... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:197
By : JING VILLAMENTE
Employees of the Agrarian Undersecretary Felix Perry Villanueva, Finance Management Office (FMAO) officer-in-charge, stormed his office on Tuesday, to condemned the purported militarization of the department’s perimeter. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:191
By : JOHN CONSTANTINE G. CORDON
EVEN if she is only holding an ad interim position in the Commission on Elections (Comelec), poll member Ma. Graciela “Grace” Padaca still believes that impeachment must first be initiated before she faces her corruption charge. Read more
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:331
By : JING VILLAMENTE REPORTER
The prosecution’s bid to turn into a state witness the backhoe operator who supposedly dug the graves of the massacre victims was opposed by the defense team handling the 2009 Maguindanao Massacre case. Read more