checkmate

LGUs accused of investing public funds in Aman

Interior Secretary Manuel “Mar” Roxas 2nd has ordered an audit of local government units (LGU) in Zamboanga province, northern Mindanao and Soccsksargen to verify reports that some of them have invested public funds in Aman Futures Group (Aman).


Roxas said that the audit would cover all payments made by provincial, city, municipality and even barangay governments for the past two years.

The Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) chief said that the order came in light, when he received complaints while he was in Pagadian City, claiming that some local government officials have allegedly invested part of their internal revenue allotment in the “get-rich-quick” investment scheme offered by Aman.

Roxas said: “If we determine that public funds were really invested in Aman, then there’s no question that we will file the necessary administrative and criminal charges against those involved—no matter who these personalities are.”

He also assured that there would be no sacred cows in the conduct of the audit and even in the probe of the Philippine National Police and the National Bureau of Investigation on the people involved in the scam.

“We will follow the thread of evidence wherever it may lead. Susundin natin lahat ng ebidensya at pananagutin natin ang dapat panagutin [We will follow all evidence and hold accountable those responsible],” Roxas said.

In connection with Roxas’ pronouncement, the Interior department issued a memorandum to the director of DILG offices in the three regions directing them to get sworn Certifications of Non-Investment of Public Funds in the Aman Futures Group from governors, city, and municipal mayors and barangay chairmen in their jurisdiction.

The DILG directors were also ordered to get a copy of Report of Checks, vouchers and other documents issued by the LGUs, duly verified by the concerned Commission on Audit field auditors, covering the period January 2011 to November 2012.

“Considering the urgency of this concern, the required Certifications must reach the Office of the Secretary of the Interior and Local Government before but not later than November 23, 2012,” the DILG memo, released on Thursday last week, stated.

The Interior department also requested the Department of Finance to get a similar set of certifications of non-investment of public funds in Aman from provincial, city, municipal and barangay treasurers in Regions 9, 10 and 12.

The department’s move runs parallel to the ongoing manhunt for the officials of Aman, including its president, Manuel Amalilio and its operation head, Fernando “Nonoy” Luna, in Pagadian City.

Aman Futures was able to lure investors, mostly in Pagadian, by offering a 30-percent to 40-percent return on investment within eight days, and a 50-percent to 80-percent profit for 18 to 20 days.

Authorities estimate that the latest scheme has duped some 15,000 individuals into investing about P12 billion of their hard-earned money.

Nation

‘Govt blocks pay for human rights victims’

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:300
By : NEIL A. ALCOBER REPORTER

THE legal counsel of martial law human rights victims has chided the Philippine government, claiming that the biggest stumbling block for the compensation of the victims is the opposition from it and not from the Marcoses. Read more

Bautista vows to make leftist rebels irrelevant

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:216
By : WILLIAM B. DEPASUPIL

INCOMING chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista vowed on Wednesday to bring down the insurgency problem to a negligible level before the end of his tour of duty or before the Aquino administration vows... Read more

Workers air plaints vs. DAR official

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:196
By : JING VILLAMENTE

Employees of the Agrarian Undersecretary Felix Perry Villanueva, Finance Management Office (FMAO) officer-in-charge, stormed his office on Tuesday, to condemned the purported militarization of the department’s perimeter. Read more

Padaca opts for impeachment process

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:191
By : JOHN CONSTANTINE G. CORDON

EVEN if she is only holding an ad interim position in the Commission on Elections (Comelec), poll member Ma. Graciela “Grace” Padaca still believes that impeachment must first be initiated before she faces her corruption charge. Read more

Maguindanao gravedigger’s bid opposed

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:331
By : JING VILLAMENTE REPORTER

The prosecution’s bid to turn into a state witness the backhoe operator who supposedly dug the graves of the massacre victims was opposed by the defense team handling the 2009 Maguindanao Massacre case. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC