checkmate

Filipino worker injured in Gulf blast dies

ONE of the four Filipino workers, who were injured in the blast and fire that struck the oil platform they were working on in the Gulf of Mexico last week, passed away on Saturday, the Philippine Embassy said.


“The Embassy has been informed of the sad news that one of our kababayans injured in the November 16 incident in the Gulf of Mexico, Avelino Tajonera, passed away early this morning in the presence of his loved ones,” Ambassador Jose Cuisia Jr. said. “The Filipino nation joins his family in grieving over their loss.”

Ambassador Cuisia said that Tajonera, who was one of two workers listed in critical condition, passed away on Friday (Saturday in Manila), shortly after the arrival of his widow and three children from Manila.

The cause of death of Tajonera, 49, a welder from Dinalupihan, Bataan, was not immediately known.

Ambassador Cuisia said that he was informed of Tajonera’s death by Randolf Malagapo, executive manager of the US-based D&R Resources, which hired him and the other injured Filipinos to work in Louisiana’s offshore oil and gas industry.

Malagapo informed the Embassy that the members of Tajonera’s family were able to see him at the Regional Burn Unit of the Baton Rouge General Hospital, shortly after they arrived from the Philippines on Thursday evening. He passed away a few hours later.

Both Ambassador Cuisia and Consul General Leo Herrera-Lim of the Philippine Consulate General in Chicago have expressed their condolences to the family of Tajonera and assured the family that the Philippine government will extend any assistance they may require.

Tajonera’s death brings to two the number of fatalities in the November 16 explosion and fire that also left three other Filipinos seriously injured and one missing. Ellroy Corporal, 42, died in the incident, while Jerome Malagapo, 28, has still not been found.

Lim said that three other Filipino workers who survived the incident are now back in Manila. The remains of Corporal, he said, will be repatriated to the Philippines on Tuesday.


Nation

‘Govt blocks pay for human rights victims’

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:300
By : NEIL A. ALCOBER REPORTER

THE legal counsel of martial law human rights victims has chided the Philippine government, claiming that the biggest stumbling block for the compensation of the victims is the opposition from it and not from the Marcoses. Read more

Bautista vows to make leftist rebels irrelevant

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:216
By : WILLIAM B. DEPASUPIL

INCOMING chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista vowed on Wednesday to bring down the insurgency problem to a negligible level before the end of his tour of duty or before the Aquino administration vows... Read more

Workers air plaints vs. DAR official

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:196
By : JING VILLAMENTE

Employees of the Agrarian Undersecretary Felix Perry Villanueva, Finance Management Office (FMAO) officer-in-charge, stormed his office on Tuesday, to condemned the purported militarization of the department’s perimeter. Read more

Padaca opts for impeachment process

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:191
By : JOHN CONSTANTINE G. CORDON

EVEN if she is only holding an ad interim position in the Commission on Elections (Comelec), poll member Ma. Graciela “Grace” Padaca still believes that impeachment must first be initiated before she faces her corruption charge. Read more

Maguindanao gravedigger’s bid opposed

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:331
By : JING VILLAMENTE REPORTER

The prosecution’s bid to turn into a state witness the backhoe operator who supposedly dug the graves of the massacre victims was opposed by the defense team handling the 2009 Maguindanao Massacre case. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC