checkmate

Cuerpo gets 6 months for defying court

The Sandiganbayan has sentenced former mayor Pedro Cuerpo of Rodriguez, Rizal province to six months in prison for disobeying a court order directing him to process building permits.


In a 23-page decision penned by Associate Justice Teresita Diaz-Baldos, the anti-graft court’s Second Division convicted Cuerpo and municipal engineer Fernando Roño for refusing to comply with the order of the San Mateo Regional Trial Court (RTC) to accommodate the applications for building permit of Samahang Magkakapitbisig (Samahan).

The Sandiganbayan found that though Cuerpo’s engineering office had already received the order from the RTC, the applications for building permit were still rejected.

The Samahan considered Roño and Cuerpo’s refusal “as an open defiance” to the ruling of the RTC and charged the officials with open disobedience, an offense punishable under the Revised Penal Code.

The Sandiganbayan regarded the RTC ruling as an “explicit order” for Roño and Cuerpo to process the building permit applications in conformity to standard rules.

The “applications were truly not accepted, much less processed,” the court said. “If [the applications] were [processed], then they should have borne marks, or notations, or even signatures of officials concerned.”

The Sandiganbayan observed that from the beginning, Cuerpo did not intend to approve the building permits because he was opposed to the relocation of informal settlers—members of Samahan—to his municipality.

The processing of the building permits on the part of Cuerpo and Roño, the Sandiganbayan said: “was not really that difficult to do, had they not been overridden by their obstinate decision not to allow the members of the Samahan to relocate at Rodriguez.”

Earlier this year, the same division of the anti-graft court convicted Cuerpo, Roño, and a barangay chairman of graft for unlawful demolition of temporary shelters of members of Samahan. They were each meted six to nine years imprisonment with an additional penalty of perpetual disqualification from holding public office.



Nation

‘Govt blocks pay for human rights victims’

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:124
By : NEIL A. ALCOBER REPORTER

THE legal counsel of martial law human rights victims has chided the Philippine government, claiming that the biggest stumbling block for the compensation of the victims is the opposition from it and not from the Marcoses. Read more

Bautista vows to make leftist rebels irrelevant

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:94
By : WILLIAM B. DEPASUPIL

INCOMING chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista vowed on Wednesday to bring down the insurgency problem to a negligible level before the end of his tour of duty or before the Aquino administration vows... Read more

Workers air plaints vs. DAR official

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:89
By : JING VILLAMENTE

Employees of the Agrarian Undersecretary Felix Perry Villanueva, Finance Management Office (FMAO) officer-in-charge, stormed his office on Tuesday, to condemned the purported militarization of the department’s perimeter. Read more

Padaca opts for impeachment process

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:86
By : JOHN CONSTANTINE G. CORDON

EVEN if she is only holding an ad interim position in the Commission on Elections (Comelec), poll member Ma. Graciela “Grace” Padaca still believes that impeachment must first be initiated before she faces her corruption charge. Read more

Maguindanao gravedigger’s bid opposed

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:295
By : JING VILLAMENTE REPORTER

The prosecution’s bid to turn into a state witness the backhoe operator who supposedly dug the graves of the massacre victims was opposed by the defense team handling the 2009 Maguindanao Massacre case. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC