Gen. Jessie Dellosa, chief-of-staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), is recommending to higher authorities a “suspension of military offensive [SOMO]” against the communist New People’s Army (NPA) to give the rebels the opportunity to be with their families and enjoy the celebration of Christmas.
“Of course, we will recommend. There will be a . . . [suspension of military offensive],” Dellosa told reporters after leading the ceremonial lighting of Christmas tree at Camp Aguinaldo on Monday.
The AFP chief said that he would make the request to President Benigno Aquino 3rd, through the defense secretary, for approval.
“I will ask the secretary of national defense and the President regarding this matter. The authority will come from the President,” he added.
According to Dellosa, the suspension of hostilities would give the rebels the opportunity to see the marked changes in government and in society that may convince them to voluntarily surrender and live a normal life once again.
He said that the SOMO maybe similar in duration as in previous year’s.
Last year, through the authority of the President, the AFP and the Philippine National Police declared an 18-day unilateral suspension of military and police operations against the insurgents that took effect at 12 a.m. of December 16 until midnight of January 3, 2012.
But even with the implementation of the SOMO and SOPO, the military, the police and other law enforcement agencies continue with their normal duties of securing all military and police camps, detachments, vital installations, investment infrastructures and civilian communities.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:124
By : NEIL A. ALCOBER REPORTER
THE legal counsel of martial law human rights victims has chided the Philippine government, claiming that the biggest stumbling block for the compensation of the victims is the opposition from it and not from the Marcoses. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:94
By : WILLIAM B. DEPASUPIL
INCOMING chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista vowed on Wednesday to bring down the insurgency problem to a negligible level before the end of his tour of duty or before the Aquino administration vows... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:89
By : JING VILLAMENTE
Employees of the Agrarian Undersecretary Felix Perry Villanueva, Finance Management Office (FMAO) officer-in-charge, stormed his office on Tuesday, to condemned the purported militarization of the department’s perimeter. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:86
By : JOHN CONSTANTINE G. CORDON
EVEN if she is only holding an ad interim position in the Commission on Elections (Comelec), poll member Ma. Graciela “Grace” Padaca still believes that impeachment must first be initiated before she faces her corruption charge. Read more
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:295
By : JING VILLAMENTE REPORTER
The prosecution’s bid to turn into a state witness the backhoe operator who supposedly dug the graves of the massacre victims was opposed by the defense team handling the 2009 Maguindanao Massacre case. Read more