AFP chief considers yuletide ceasefire
Gen. Jessie Dellosa, chief-of-staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), is recommending to higher authorities a “suspension of military offensive [SOMO]” against the communist New People’s Army (NPA) to give the rebels the opportunity to be with their families and enjoy the celebration of Christmas.
“Of course, we will recommend. There will be a . . . [suspension of military offensive],” Dellosa told reporters after leading the ceremonial lighting of Christmas tree at Camp Aguinaldo on Monday.
The AFP chief said that he would make the request to President Benigno Aquino 3rd, through the defense secretary, for approval.
“I will ask the secretary of national defense and the President regarding this matter. The authority will come from the President,” he added.
According to Dellosa, the suspension of hostilities would give the rebels the opportunity to see the marked changes in government and in society that may convince them to voluntarily surrender and live a normal life once again.
He said that the SOMO maybe similar in duration as in previous year’s.
Last year, through the authority of the President, the AFP and the Philippine National Police declared an 18-day unilateral suspension of military and police operations against the insurgents that took effect at 12 a.m. of December 16 until midnight of January 3, 2012.
But even with the implementation of the SOMO and SOPO, the military, the police and other law enforcement agencies continue with their normal duties of securing all military and police camps, detachments, vital installations, investment infrastructures and civilian communities.
