Govt declares holiday ceasefire with NPA
THE Philippine government has ordered the suspension of military operations against the New People’s Army (NPA) for 18 days in the spirit of the Yuletide season.
Col. Arnulfo Marcelo Burgos, spokesman of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), said that the Suspension of Military Operations (SOMO) against communist rebels will start this morning and will last up to January 2.
He said that President Benigno Aquino 3rd ordered the ceasefire.
Burgos added that the SOMO would include the deliberate offensive operations against the communist rebels, which had recently attacked a police station in a remote village in Palawan province, killing at least two policemen.
He, however, said that the military will still “maintain activities that is supporting the government and civil authorities peace, development, and humanitarian assistance programs.”
He explained that the Yuletide SOMO is a way of showing the government’s sincerity in resolving the decades-old communist insurgency problem that claimed the lives of thousands of Filipinos.
“The objective of this unilateral implementation of Yuletide SOMO to the NPA is to demonstrate the commitment, sincerity and resolve for peace in spite of conflicts with the insurgent group,” Burgos said.
Armed Forces chief General Jessie Dellosa said that the SOMO, which had been declared by the government, would also give an opportunity to government troops and villagers in conflict areas to have a peaceful holiday celebration.
“The AFP takes its time to recognize and acknowledge the collective and selfless efforts of its soldiers that were instrumental in maintaining peace and security in our communities,” Dellosa said.
The ceasefire is needed, he said, “especially now that many of our men and women are working round the clock conducting search, rescue and relief operations in disaster-stricken areas in Mindanao.”
Thousands of government troops and even policemen are now in the thick of search, rescue and relief operations in areas devastated by Typhoon Pablo (international code-name: Bopha) in Eastern Mindanao, a region known to have rebel-infested areas.
