LABOR Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz on Saturday asked the remaining overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) in Syria to come home and not to risk their lives for higher-paying jobs, when a worsening civil war is going on in there.
Baldoz appealed to families of OFWs to encourage their loved ones to leave Syria because the war-stricken country is “not a safe place to work” anymore.
“The Philippine Overseas Employment Administration had stopped the processing of any worker document for Syria,” she said in a statement.
Baldoz added that the Labor office and the Philippine Embassy in Damascus are always ready to assist overseas workers who are willing to come home.
Those who are willing to be repatriated will receive financial support from the government, including business start-up kits worth P10,000, home-based livelihood business development and skills training.
“There are also available job opportunities for them in the country, which would offer better remuneration compared to their salaries as undocumented household service workers and would mitigate the potential risk of maltreatment and abuse,” she said.
So far, more than 3,000 Filipinos in Syria have been repatriated to the Philippines. .
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:119
By : NEIL A. ALCOBER REPORTER
THE legal counsel of martial law human rights victims has chided the Philippine government, claiming that the biggest stumbling block for the compensation of the victims is the opposition from it and not from the Marcoses. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:93
By : WILLIAM B. DEPASUPIL
INCOMING chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista vowed on Wednesday to bring down the insurgency problem to a negligible level before the end of his tour of duty or before the Aquino administration vows... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:88
By : JING VILLAMENTE
Employees of the Agrarian Undersecretary Felix Perry Villanueva, Finance Management Office (FMAO) officer-in-charge, stormed his office on Tuesday, to condemned the purported militarization of the department’s perimeter. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:84
By : JOHN CONSTANTINE G. CORDON
EVEN if she is only holding an ad interim position in the Commission on Elections (Comelec), poll member Ma. Graciela “Grace” Padaca still believes that impeachment must first be initiated before she faces her corruption charge. Read more
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:294
By : JING VILLAMENTE REPORTER
The prosecution’s bid to turn into a state witness the backhoe operator who supposedly dug the graves of the massacre victims was opposed by the defense team handling the 2009 Maguindanao Massacre case. Read more