checkmate

DFA secretary wishes speedy recovery of Clinton

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton AFP FILE PHOTO

 

 

Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario on Sunday wished Secretary of State Hillary Clinton “a speedy recovery and complete restoration of health” after suffering from a concussion over the weekend.


A statement from the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said that Clinton is “a very dear friend to the Philippines.”

“Having worked with her both bilaterally and in various regional and global fora, I have seen firsthand her dedication to duty and her boundless energy, especially when advocating issues closest to her heart,” the former Philippine envoy to Washington said.

Del Rosario said that he is optimistic that Clinton will “be back to her normal routine in a few days, ready once again to engage with US allies and friends and the rest of the world which her leadership touches.”

“My family and I join her family and friends in praying for early recovery,” the Foreign Affairs chief added.

Clinton suffered from stomach virus after her trip to Europe last week. She cancelled a trip to North Africa—an unusual move for the customarily tireless US top diplomat.

She later became dehydrated and fainted, which caused her to sustain a concussion.

The secretary is reportedly taking a break from work, including several Christmas parties she was supposed to host at the US Department of State this week.

She has been recovering at home and will just continue working there, a spokesman for her said.

Clinton, the wife of former president Bill Clinton and is the most popular member of US President Barack Obama’s cabinet, is set to retire early next year. She remains mum, however, on her plans to run for presidency in 2016.

She denied such plans, but said that her age will not hamper her from serving the American people.



Nation

‘Govt blocks pay for human rights victims’

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:118
By : NEIL A. ALCOBER REPORTER

THE legal counsel of martial law human rights victims has chided the Philippine government, claiming that the biggest stumbling block for the compensation of the victims is the opposition from it and not from the Marcoses. Read more

Bautista vows to make leftist rebels irrelevant

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:93
By : WILLIAM B. DEPASUPIL

INCOMING chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista vowed on Wednesday to bring down the insurgency problem to a negligible level before the end of his tour of duty or before the Aquino administration vows... Read more

Workers air plaints vs. DAR official

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:88
By : JING VILLAMENTE

Employees of the Agrarian Undersecretary Felix Perry Villanueva, Finance Management Office (FMAO) officer-in-charge, stormed his office on Tuesday, to condemned the purported militarization of the department’s perimeter. Read more

Padaca opts for impeachment process

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:84
By : JOHN CONSTANTINE G. CORDON

EVEN if she is only holding an ad interim position in the Commission on Elections (Comelec), poll member Ma. Graciela “Grace” Padaca still believes that impeachment must first be initiated before she faces her corruption charge. Read more

Maguindanao gravedigger’s bid opposed

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:294
By : JING VILLAMENTE REPORTER

The prosecution’s bid to turn into a state witness the backhoe operator who supposedly dug the graves of the massacre victims was opposed by the defense team handling the 2009 Maguindanao Massacre case. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC