checkmate

AFP will acquire P2.3-B new radars

THE Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) will be acquiring three brand-new surveillance radars worth at least P2.3 billion as part of its modernization program, according to a top ranking military officer.



Maj. Gen. Raul Dimatatac, vice commander of the Philippine Air Force (PAF), said that the radar system would be placed in strategic areas around the country, including one in the disputed West Philippine Sea (South China Sea), to ensure a round-the-clock monitoring of the country’s territorial boundaries.

“We are looking at installing three radars on our three major sites,” Dimatatac said.

Also among the priorities of the air force, he added, were surface-attack aircraft, light lift aircraft, long-range patrol aircraft and 21 UHIH helicopters, among others.

Dimatatac explained that the air force have other concerns but have to prioritize, considering that the P75 billion provided by Republic Act   10349 were to be shared with the two other major services of the AFP.

Act 10349 was signed into law by the President Benigno Aquino 3rd on December 11. It amends Act 7898 or the AFP Modernization Act, extending it for another 15 years with a P75-billion initial budget for the first five years of implementation.

Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin earlier  signed a five-year agreement with Italian Defense Minister Giampaolo Di Paola to expedite projected procurements from Italian defense industry suppliers.

The agreement is valid for five  years from signing and will be automatically extended for another five years unless there is a written notice of intention to terminate. The Defense chief said that the agreement would speed the implementation of the modernization program.

Gazmin, accompanied  by members of the Defense Acquisition System team, has traveled to Italy last year to inspect combat ready defense materiel, which include the Maestrale and Soldati class deep patrol water vessel, the Piaggio 180, a single platform defense materiel with capabilities to perform as special mission aircraft, light lift aircraft and long range patrol aircraft.

Also inspected were the medium lift tactical aircraft C27J, Italian Navy Coast Watch and Air Defense 3D Radar Systems, AMX ground attack aircraft, Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Falco and Armored Personnel Carrier.

“This arrangement is a result of our efforts to explore any and all avenues for a more efficient procurement process for our modernization program,” Gazmin said.  

Nation

‘Govt blocks pay for human rights victims’

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:116
By : NEIL A. ALCOBER REPORTER

THE legal counsel of martial law human rights victims has chided the Philippine government, claiming that the biggest stumbling block for the compensation of the victims is the opposition from it and not from the Marcoses. Read more

Bautista vows to make leftist rebels irrelevant

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:90
By : WILLIAM B. DEPASUPIL

INCOMING chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista vowed on Wednesday to bring down the insurgency problem to a negligible level before the end of his tour of duty or before the Aquino administration vows... Read more

Workers air plaints vs. DAR official

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:86
By : JING VILLAMENTE

Employees of the Agrarian Undersecretary Felix Perry Villanueva, Finance Management Office (FMAO) officer-in-charge, stormed his office on Tuesday, to condemned the purported militarization of the department’s perimeter. Read more

Padaca opts for impeachment process

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:81
By : JOHN CONSTANTINE G. CORDON

EVEN if she is only holding an ad interim position in the Commission on Elections (Comelec), poll member Ma. Graciela “Grace” Padaca still believes that impeachment must first be initiated before she faces her corruption charge. Read more

Maguindanao gravedigger’s bid opposed

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : Nation   |  Hits:293
By : JING VILLAMENTE REPORTER

The prosecution’s bid to turn into a state witness the backhoe operator who supposedly dug the graves of the massacre victims was opposed by the defense team handling the 2009 Maguindanao Massacre case. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC