Officials of the Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene, Quiapo Church on Thursday said that they will modify the tires of the andas or the carriage of the image of the black Nazarene to avoid the wreckage of the mobile, which happened during last year’s procession.
Fr. Ric Valencia, Quiapo Church Committee on Operations Center head, said that they are set to use tires similar to ones used by forklifts.
“We will use stronger tires . . . to ensure the safety of everybody participating in the procession of the beloved image of the Black Nazarene,” Valencia said in a press conference.
“We replaced the tires with three solid tires being used in forklifts,” he added.
Last year, the wheels of the andas broke down just several meters away from the Quirino Grandstand in Luneta, when it was about to reach Roxas Boulevard.
This resulted in the further delays in the day-long annual procession attended by millions of devotees.
As for this year’s participants, Quiapo Church Rector Msgr. Clemente Ignacio said that they expect the same number of crowd just like the previous year. The Philippine National Police estimated that about six to eight million devotees participated in the procession last year.
“It might still be the same but I don’t know if there will be an increase,” Ignacio said.
The organizers are set to hold a dry run on Saturday, January 5 at 2 p.m.
On January 9, the traslacion or the transfer of the centuries-old image of the Black Nazarene from Luneta to Quiapo Church will be reenacted.
The traslacion will be preceded with a Mass to be led by Manila Archbishop Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle at the Quirino Grandstand in Luneta.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:115
By : NEIL A. ALCOBER REPORTER
THE legal counsel of martial law human rights victims has chided the Philippine government, claiming that the biggest stumbling block for the compensation of the victims is the opposition from it and not from the Marcoses. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:90
By : WILLIAM B. DEPASUPIL
INCOMING chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista vowed on Wednesday to bring down the insurgency problem to a negligible level before the end of his tour of duty or before the Aquino administration vows... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:86
By : JING VILLAMENTE
Employees of the Agrarian Undersecretary Felix Perry Villanueva, Finance Management Office (FMAO) officer-in-charge, stormed his office on Tuesday, to condemned the purported militarization of the department’s perimeter. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:81
By : JOHN CONSTANTINE G. CORDON
EVEN if she is only holding an ad interim position in the Commission on Elections (Comelec), poll member Ma. Graciela “Grace” Padaca still believes that impeachment must first be initiated before she faces her corruption charge. Read more
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:293
By : JING VILLAMENTE REPORTER
The prosecution’s bid to turn into a state witness the backhoe operator who supposedly dug the graves of the massacre victims was opposed by the defense team handling the 2009 Maguindanao Massacre case. Read more