Court stops MIAA from awarding ad contracts
A Regional Trial Court of San Juan City stopped the Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) from awarding a P126-million advertising space at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) terminal 2, following a temporary restraining order filed against them by an advertising firm.
MIAA general manager Jose Angel Honrado said on Sunday that the court injunction was issued last week by Judge Leoncio Janolo Jr., on appeal of Digichive Philippines Corp. (DPC), which submitted a bid of P101.5 million against the winning bid of P126 million.
The bidding for the advertising spaces was held in August 2012.
The airport authority used to earn an annual income of only P13.5 million from advertisements under the recently expired five-year contract with Digichive.
Honrado, who heads the MIAA board, said that the proceeds of the advertising spaces were used to improve NAIA2.
The airport manager said that in the August bidding, a winning bidder committed yearly revenue of 126 million for the MIAA for the next three years—higher than the P105 million offered by Digichive.
The Manila airport was about to award the contract to the winning party, however Digichive was able to secure an order, paving the way for the firm to continue doing business at NAIA2.
Honrado stressed that the authority would lose P88-million annually from advertising revenues as a result of the injunction.
“This huge sum could have helped fund major renovations and upgrading of facilities for all of the four passenger terminals managed by MIAA,” the airport chief said.
