Press Club balks at slow pace of Tulfo-Santiago case
The National Press Club (NPC) has assailed the Pasay City Prosecutor’s Office for the slow pace in hearing the case filed by veteran columnist and NPC lifetime member, Ramon Tulfo, against showbiz couple Raymart Santiago and Claudine Barretto and businessman Eduardo Atilano.
“We find the slow evaluation of the complaint filed by Mon Tulfo against the Santiagos a reflection of the justice system in the country, where the rich and influential are favored over the common people,” said NPC president Benny Antiporda.
The case against the Santiagos and Atilano stemmed from an incident at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3 on May 6, 2012.
“Mon Tulfo was clearly ganged upon by the group of the Santiagos and Atilano. Everything was seen on video,” said Antiporda.
The one-way fight started when Tulfo refused to hand over to the gang his cellphone, which the group suspected he used to taking video of Claudine berating two female staff of Cebu Pacific.
Tulfo had just come down from his plane from Davao City, while the Santiagos and Atilano came from Boracay.
Acting on his journalistic instinct, Tulfo used his cellphone to take pictures (not video) of the scolding incident at the Cebu Pacific counter.
Santiago and his companions confronted Tulfo and demanded he turn over his cellphone to them.
When Tulfo refused, they ganged up on him.
“Tulfo has approached the NPC to complain that he sensed bias in favor of the Santiagos and Atilano by the Pasay City Prosecutor’s Office,” Antiporda said.
“What’s taking the Pasay City prosecutor so long to resolve the case, which was filed in May last year?” Tulfo told Antiporda.
