checkmate

Mindanao firefight leaves 11 casualties

ZAMBOANGA CITY: Two communist rebels were killed and nine people were wounded in fierce fighting in the province of Compostela Valley, an army commander said on Monday.



Lt. Col. Jerry Borja, commander of the 71st Infantry Battalion, said that rebels attacked soldiers in the village of Calabcab in the town of Maco. The weekend fighting left seven soldiers and two civilians wounded.

He said that troops were conducting a dialogue with villagers when dozens of New People’s Army (NPA) rebels opened fire on the crowd.

“Our peace and development team was having a community consultation in barangay hall when NPAs—despite the presence of civilians—attacked and peppered the area with bullets,” Borja said.

He said that troops were not immediately able to return fire for fear that rebels would shoot on civilians.

“Our troops refrained from firing to secure first the civilians. This resulted to seven soldiers wounded in action,” Borja said, adding that the soldiers only managed to return fire after all civilians had been evacuated to a safe area in the village.

“Troops returned fire right after they have secured the residents in the area,” he said.
Borja said troops recovered the bodies of the slain rebels, including their automatic rifles and improvised explosives.

He identified the wounded soldiers as Sgt. Marlon Parong, Cpl. Romualdo Tangonan, Pfc. Erwin Manabat, Pfc. Rocky Molina, Pfc. Jaypee Sionillo, Pfc. Carmelo Cachuela, and Pfc. Ludivico Elegio Jr. They were evacuated to Camp Panacan Station Hospital in Davao City.

The wounded civilians were also identified as Grace Malisa, 22, and Adela Madanlo, 46.

Regions

Baguio jail rolls out e-visits for inmates

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:194
By : Thom F. Picaña Correspondent

BAGUIO CITY: Inmates of the Baguio City jail are grateful for “virtual visitations,” which rolled out during the holiday season, giving them a chance to talk to their loved ones through the Internet. Read more

Food plan seeks out starving children

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:181
By : Neil A. Alcober

SOME 42,372 undernourished kindergarten and grade 6 pupils will benefit from the Department of Education’s school-based feeding program as part of the agency’s efforts to help them do better in school. Read more

Mining firm pulls out of Benguet village

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:232
By : Thom F. Picaña

MANKAYAN, Benguet: Mining subsidiary Far Southeast Gold Resources of the African giant Goldfields Resources has declared the pull out of their drilling operations in Madaymen village. Read more

Comelec allows AKO Bicol to join polls

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:144
By : Rhaydz B. Barcia

LEGAZPI CITY: The unified move and strong support of Bicolanos over Ako Bicol regional political party ouster bore fruit after the Supreme Court granted a status quo ante order allowing the homegrown party-list to join the 2013 polls. Read more

Tail-end of cold front evicts Surigao families

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:133
By : Ritchie A. Horario

SEVERAL families were evacuates in Surigao del Norte province because of flash floods and landslides brought by the tail end of a cold front. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC