PARTY-LIST LAWMAKERS WILLING TO STEP DOWN
LEGAZPI CITY: The three congressmen of the expelled Ako Bicol party-list are willing to step down in favor of other deserving nominees should the Supreme Court grant its petition for a
certiorari it would file this week against the Commission on Election. Ako Bicol spokesman Rep. Rodel Batocabe said in an interview that, “if our constituents feel we have not performed our duties as their representatives in congress we are most willing to step down, our prime concern is the continuing existence of our party-list group.” Ako Bicol Representatives Christopher Co, Alfredo Garbin and Batocabe stand accused of representing a party-list that does not represent any marginalized or underprivileged sector in addition to allegations that the nominees were not among the marginalized sector, Representative Co being a wealthy businessman and Garbin and Batocabe as successful practicing lawyers. The three lawmakers had earlier issued statements saying that they may not be poor but their performance and attachment to the marginalized groups prove that their advocacy had been tried and tested serving the underprivileged and marginalized.
Manny T. Ugalde
ILOILO DRAINAGE MASTER PLAN READY BY NOVEMBER
ILOILO CITY: The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) recently reported to City Mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog the updates on the Metro Iloilo Urban Drainage Improvement Master Plan contracted by EH Sison Engineers and Co. at a contract cost of P17 million. DPWH Reg. Dir. Ediberto Tayao said that the initial recommendation will be submitted by the contractor on November 2012 and the complete study by January 2013. The drainage master plan will cover seven districts of Iloilo City and 180 barangays, of which 55 city barangays are flood-prone. The master plan will cover the river and creeks improvement with mitigation strategies at the Dungon, Calajunan, Buntatala and Mansaya creeks and identified areas in the city drainage improvement for a total project cost of P4.23 billion in a period of three years. Based on coordination with the city and DPWH, the districts of Molo, city proper and La Paz are considered as priority areas under the urban drainage master plan. In his report to the city chief executive, Tayao said that one major mitigation strategy will be the implementation of flood control projects through the rivers and creeks improvement plan. The four creeks are listed as priority improvement areas.
Lydia C. Pendon
DREDGING OPERATIONS IN FULL BLAST
ILOILO CITY: Dredging of the Iloilo River and its tributaries had started with the recent arrival of Water Master dredging machine of the Department of Public Works and Highways with P5.8-million initial budget as operational cost. City mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog said that disposal sites of dredged materials were already identified and the project will also include rehabilitation and restoration of the Dungon and Calajunan creeks including removal of vegetation along the waterways. Along the dredging operations is the ongoing construction of more than 3,000 housing units costing more than P300 million for displaced informal settlers at the city relocation sites known River Subdivision Plains 1 in barangays of Camalig and Lanit in Jaro district and River Subdivision Plains 2 in barangay Sooc, Arevalo district. Mabilog said that the dredging at the Iloilo River covers some 2.2 kilometers from the Carpenter’s Bridge down to the Esplanade.
Dredged materials are to be disposed at the eight-hectare vacant property along the river esplanade and another two hectare at the city government property behind the city agriculture office in Molo district. The city mayor said that the informal settlers along the dredging areas will have to be relocated first and full dredging of the whole waterways may start on May 2013 after relocation of informal settlers.
Lydia C. Pendon
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:194
By : Thom F. Picaña Correspondent
BAGUIO CITY: Inmates of the Baguio City jail are grateful for “virtual visitations,” which rolled out during the holiday season, giving them a chance to talk to their loved ones through the Internet. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:181
By : Neil A. Alcober
SOME 42,372 undernourished kindergarten and grade 6 pupils will benefit from the Department of Education’s school-based feeding program as part of the agency’s efforts to help them do better in school. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:232
By : Thom F. Picaña
MANKAYAN, Benguet: Mining subsidiary Far Southeast Gold Resources of the African giant Goldfields Resources has declared the pull out of their drilling operations in Madaymen village. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:144
By : Rhaydz B. Barcia
LEGAZPI CITY: The unified move and strong support of Bicolanos over Ako Bicol regional political party ouster bore fruit after the Supreme Court granted a status quo ante order allowing the homegrown party-list to join the 2013 polls. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:133
By : Ritchie A. Horario
SEVERAL families were evacuates in Surigao del Norte province because of flash floods and landslides brought by the tail end of a cold front. Read more