ZAMBOANGA CITY: The Regional Trial Court (RTC), on Wednesday, has junked the appeal of former congressman Romeo Jalosjos Sr. to be included in the permanent list of voters in Zamboanga City where he is running for mayor in the 2012 synchronized local and national polls.
Judge Reynerio Estacio affirmed the earlier verdict of the Municipal Trial Court, which disqualified Jalosjos, who was convicted of statutory rape, from running for public office in Zamboanga.
Municipal Trial Court Judge Nancy Cuaresma, in a 16-page resolution, said that Jalosjos cannot exercise the right of suffrage or the right to vote because he is disqualified.
“Jalosjos is not qualified to and cannot vote or be voted upon in any national or local elections until his perpetual absolute disqualification s are expressly remitted and restored by pardon,” the judge said.
The aging political kingpin, who was convicted in 1997 for raping an 11-year-old girl, was able to register with the Commission on Elections in Zamboanga City, but this was opposed by lawmaker Maria Isabelle Salazar on the grounds that the former politician is disqualified to register as a new voter here because of his prior convict.
Jalosjos, who was convicted with two counts of statutory rape and six counts of acts of lasciviousness, insisted his right to suffrage, adding that he had served his sentence.
Rep. Maria Isabelle Salazar of Zamboanga City, who is also running for the mayoralty post, sought Jalosjos’ disqualification, saying that the politician was sentenced to suffer “reclusion perpetua” and “reclusion temporal” for each count of his crimes, and is not qualified to run.
She said that the penalty for reclusion perpetua should be from 20 years, while reclusion temporal is from 12 years. Salazar added that Jalosjos was granted a mere commutation of sentence by then president and now Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo of Pampanga province in 2007, which resulted in the reduction of his original sentence.
Official records with the Bureau of Corrections also showed that Jalosjos was discharged from the National Bilibid Prison only on March 18, 2009, less than the five-year period prescribed under the Voter’s Registration Act, according to Salazar.
The Election Registration Board also ruled in favor of Salazar, a member of President Benigno Aquino 3rd’s Liberal Party.
“God guide us. RTC ruled in our favor,” Salazar told The Manila Times.
She said that they received the decision of the RTC on Wednesday through their legal counsels.
“May I, once again, reiterate that this had been an advocacy for a just and honest pursuit of the laws of this country with its sanctity being kept intact. Being part of legislation, I have seen the importance of these laws and following them judiciously is what is expected of all of us. We continuously pray that all this will come to a peaceful resolution and shall ensure a public service that has the foundations of honesty, sincerity and integrity,” Salazar said.
Jalosjos’ camp said that they will appeal the decision of the court.
The decision also coincided with the ruling of the Supreme Court disqualifying Jalosjos’ younger brother Dominador—who is running for governor in Zamboanga del Sur province—because of his past criminal conviction.
The younger Jalosjos, a former mayor in Dapitan City in Zamboanga del Norte and three others were convicted in 1970 for robbery.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:194
By : Thom F. Picaña Correspondent
BAGUIO CITY: Inmates of the Baguio City jail are grateful for “virtual visitations,” which rolled out during the holiday season, giving them a chance to talk to their loved ones through the Internet. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:181
By : Neil A. Alcober
SOME 42,372 undernourished kindergarten and grade 6 pupils will benefit from the Department of Education’s school-based feeding program as part of the agency’s efforts to help them do better in school. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:232
By : Thom F. Picaña
MANKAYAN, Benguet: Mining subsidiary Far Southeast Gold Resources of the African giant Goldfields Resources has declared the pull out of their drilling operations in Madaymen village. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:144
By : Rhaydz B. Barcia
LEGAZPI CITY: The unified move and strong support of Bicolanos over Ako Bicol regional political party ouster bore fruit after the Supreme Court granted a status quo ante order allowing the homegrown party-list to join the 2013 polls. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:133
By : Ritchie A. Horario
SEVERAL families were evacuates in Surigao del Norte province because of flash floods and landslides brought by the tail end of a cold front. Read more