checkmate

Court garnishes Bicol town funds to pay whistleblower’s salaries

LIGAO CITY, Albay: A Regional Trial Court (RTC) judge in Albay province has ordered garnishment of less than a million-funds of the sleepy Oas town, for refusing to pay unpaid salaries of a town official who turned whistleblower.



But the whistleblower said that the court orders in his favor have not compelled the town mayor and his cohorts to pay his claims equivalent to 18 months of his salary as of last September. The town has an annual budget of P72 million according to documents.

Court records showed that Oas municipal planning and development officer (MPDO) Jose Carlos Torres has filed a complaint in court against Mayor Gregorio Ricarte for withholding his salaries starting in May 2011, after he had expose an alleged extraordinary bloated land deal worth P15 million more than the actual and real cost of which was only P5 million. Added to his exposé were several scandals involving water project payment and purchase of allegedly bloated multi-cab units—all pending investigation by the Office of the Ombudsman.

Mayor Ricarte had denied the charges pointing to his accuser as among the town alleged shady
deal operators during his predecessors’ time.

Ricarte, using an executive order he issued ordered his treasurer and accountant to withhold
Torres’ salaries on allegations the whistleblower went on absence without official leave (AWOL) citing the municipal employees logbook.

Torres said that he never went on AWOL saying that he had been attending seminars and that he was merely placed on floating status after getting the ire of the mayor for allegedly resisting corruption in the town.

Torres claimed that he had been the town MPDO for three decades and was never required to sign in the logbook He said that the logbook requirement came only after he became a whistleblower

In his order dated August 3, 2012, Judge Alben Rabe of RTC Branch 12 said that Mayor Ricarte had committed violations and ordered him to release withheld salaries of Torres starting from May 2011 to September 2012 or a total of P884,155,00. The order, however, was not heeded prompting Torres to seek a mandamus order, which the court granted in its order dated September 26.

Ricarte went to the Court of Appeals (CA) but pending the CA resolution, Judge Rabe ordered on October 10 the garnishment of the town depository—the Land Bank Ligao City branch—the amount equivalent to Torres’ unpaid salaries.

Regions

Baguio jail rolls out e-visits for inmates

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:194
By : Thom F. Picaña Correspondent

BAGUIO CITY: Inmates of the Baguio City jail are grateful for “virtual visitations,” which rolled out during the holiday season, giving them a chance to talk to their loved ones through the Internet. Read more

Food plan seeks out starving children

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:181
By : Neil A. Alcober

SOME 42,372 undernourished kindergarten and grade 6 pupils will benefit from the Department of Education’s school-based feeding program as part of the agency’s efforts to help them do better in school. Read more

Mining firm pulls out of Benguet village

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:232
By : Thom F. Picaña

MANKAYAN, Benguet: Mining subsidiary Far Southeast Gold Resources of the African giant Goldfields Resources has declared the pull out of their drilling operations in Madaymen village. Read more

Comelec allows AKO Bicol to join polls

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:144
By : Rhaydz B. Barcia

LEGAZPI CITY: The unified move and strong support of Bicolanos over Ako Bicol regional political party ouster bore fruit after the Supreme Court granted a status quo ante order allowing the homegrown party-list to join the 2013 polls. Read more

Tail-end of cold front evicts Surigao families

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:133
By : Ritchie A. Horario

SEVERAL families were evacuates in Surigao del Norte province because of flash floods and landslides brought by the tail end of a cold front. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC