GOVERNMENT forces have captured a major camp of the communist New People’s Army (NPA) without firing a single shot, a military spokesman disclosed on Friday.
Maj. Enrico Gil Ileto, chief of the Third Infantry Division Public Affairs Office, said that the rebels were forced to abandon their camp after days of continuous follow-up operations made by elements of the 82nd Infantry Battalion (IB) following an earlier encounter that left one soldier dead.
According to Ileto the encampment in Brgy. Bucari, Leon, Iloilo province, had been used as headquarters by top regional NPA personalities of Panay Island.
The camp was situated behind mountainous terrain, thick vegetation and trees which can only be reached through hours of walk from the nearest barangay roads of Bucari, Danao and Cagay of Leon municipality.
The camp was captured on November 1.
It has several foxholes, kitchens, and three makeshift classrooms and a water supply. Two other but smaller camps were also overrun by soldiers since the start of the military operations in the later part of October.
Lt. Col. Aldwine Almase, commander of 82IB, said that the information gathered from the populace made the job easier for the soldiers.
“Despite difficulties, we continue with our tasks because this is our calling, to protect the people, who have continued to provide us with information for our peace and security operations,” Almase said.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:194
By : Thom F. Picaña Correspondent
BAGUIO CITY: Inmates of the Baguio City jail are grateful for “virtual visitations,” which rolled out during the holiday season, giving them a chance to talk to their loved ones through the Internet. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:181
By : Neil A. Alcober
SOME 42,372 undernourished kindergarten and grade 6 pupils will benefit from the Department of Education’s school-based feeding program as part of the agency’s efforts to help them do better in school. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:232
By : Thom F. Picaña
MANKAYAN, Benguet: Mining subsidiary Far Southeast Gold Resources of the African giant Goldfields Resources has declared the pull out of their drilling operations in Madaymen village. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:144
By : Rhaydz B. Barcia
LEGAZPI CITY: The unified move and strong support of Bicolanos over Ako Bicol regional political party ouster bore fruit after the Supreme Court granted a status quo ante order allowing the homegrown party-list to join the 2013 polls. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:133
By : Ritchie A. Horario
SEVERAL families were evacuates in Surigao del Norte province because of flash floods and landslides brought by the tail end of a cold front. Read more