checkmate

Navy intercepts P10M contraband rice in Sulu

OPERATIVES of the Philippine Navy (PN) has foiled another attempt by smugglers to sneak in into the country some P10 million worth of contra-bands off the coast of Sulu province.


The contraband goods, consisting of 12,000 sacks of rice and 1,412 boxes of assorted foodstuff and 400 sacks of wheat flour were loaded on board ML Shayna when intercepted on Monday by combined forces of the Naval Forces Western Mindanao and Navy patrol gunboat BRP Emilio Liwanag.

Col. Omar Tonsay, Navy spokesman, on Tuesday said that the illegal shipment came from Tawau, Sabah, Malaysia and was on its way to Warid Pier in Jolo, Sulu.

Investigation revealed that the shipment has no legal importation documents such as import permit from the National Food Authority as in the case of rice importation.

According to Tonsay, the vessel is owned by a certain Jaiton Jadjap and Darcy Tan, both of Port Area, Jolo, Sulu but the owner of the contraband has yet to be determined.

According to Tonsay, the owners of the vessel and its 12 Filipino crewmembers would be slapped with smuggling charges for violation of Republic Act 1937 or the Tariff and Customs Code of the Philippines.

Last week, Navy operatives also apprehend P15 million worth of smuggled fuel and cigarettes off the coast of Tulian Island in Sulu province.

The port of origin of the said shipment has not been determined, but authorities believed that it also came from Sabah, Malaysia, which is usually used by smugglers as jumped off point in sneaking smuggled goods into the country.

Regions

Baguio jail rolls out e-visits for inmates

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:194
By : Thom F. Picaña Correspondent

BAGUIO CITY: Inmates of the Baguio City jail are grateful for “virtual visitations,” which rolled out during the holiday season, giving them a chance to talk to their loved ones through the Internet. Read more

Food plan seeks out starving children

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:181
By : Neil A. Alcober

SOME 42,372 undernourished kindergarten and grade 6 pupils will benefit from the Department of Education’s school-based feeding program as part of the agency’s efforts to help them do better in school. Read more

Mining firm pulls out of Benguet village

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:232
By : Thom F. Picaña

MANKAYAN, Benguet: Mining subsidiary Far Southeast Gold Resources of the African giant Goldfields Resources has declared the pull out of their drilling operations in Madaymen village. Read more

Comelec allows AKO Bicol to join polls

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:144
By : Rhaydz B. Barcia

LEGAZPI CITY: The unified move and strong support of Bicolanos over Ako Bicol regional political party ouster bore fruit after the Supreme Court granted a status quo ante order allowing the homegrown party-list to join the 2013 polls. Read more

Tail-end of cold front evicts Surigao families

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:133
By : Ritchie A. Horario

SEVERAL families were evacuates in Surigao del Norte province because of flash floods and landslides brought by the tail end of a cold front. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC