VISAYANS RAISE ALARM OVER GMO RICE, CORN
ILOILO CITY: A group of concerned croups and environmentalists, mostly Visayans recently converged in Cebu City to discuss the suspected contamination of white corn, the staple food of most of Visayas and Mindanao, with genetically modified organisms (GMO).
The groups likewise, protested the government’s approval of GMOs, particularly of Golden Rice and Bt corn for mass consumption. They said there lurks a danger of GMO corn to cross-bred with normal corn crops and they wanted to protect corn and rice from being contaminated with GMO. In a food and agriculture forum held in Cebu City, delegates strongly belied claims by the Bureau of Plant and Industry and GMO proponents that GMOs will be beneficial to Filipino farmers and help ensure the country’s food security. The delegates are from the Cebu Coalition for Food Security, Pagtambayoyong Foundation, Bohol Initiators for Sustainable Agriculture and Development, Inc., Negros Island Sustainable Agriculture and Rural Development Foundation, the Muslim Mindanao Halal Certification Board, Inc., the Social Action Center, Diocese of Marbel, South Cotabato, Institute for Strategic Research and Development Studies of the Visayas State University, and Greenpeace Southeast Asia. Aside from rice, white corn is widely planted in the Visayas and Mindanao. Varieties of this GMO crop have actually been banned in other countries due to health concerns. LYDIA C. PENDON
KIDNAPPERS RELEASE ZAMBOANGA TOWN MAYOR
ZAMBOANGA CITY: Kidnappers have freed early Tuesday a southern Philippine town mayor after his family reportedly paid ransom in exchange for his freedom. Security officials confirmed the release, but would not say whether ransoms had been paid for the safe release of Mayor Jeffrey Lim, of Salug town in Zamboanga del Norte province where he was kidnapped in April. Regional army commander Maj. Gen. Ricardo Rainier Cruz 3rd said that the 36-year old politician was believed taken to Basilan province, just several nautical miles from Zamboanga City. “After seven months of captivity, kidnapped victim Mayor Jeffrey Lim safely returned to his family at about 3 a.m. Tuesday. It cannot immediately be ascertained whether ransom was paid,” Cruz said. Lim was kidnapped April 2 by at least 10 gunmen, disguised as policemen, while heading to the town’s bus depot. AL JACINTO
3,000 LAND TITLES AWARDED TO CAVITE SETTLERS
VICE President and housing czar Jejomar Binay on Tuesday announced that a total of 3,279 land titles were distributed to families in Cavite province occupying land owned by the Philippine National Railways (PNR). Binay said that most of the beneficiaries have occupied the non-core properties for decades as informal settler families who faced constant threats of eviction and demolition. The Vice President, however, admitted that they temporarily stopped handing out certificate of land titles to beneficiaries because the new administration of the PNR wanted to make sure if they really do not need the land covered by the Executive Order. Binay also reminded the beneficiaries to fulfill their obligations, including the payment of monthly amortizations for the land, so as not to waste this opportunity to have these lands titled to their names eventually. NEIL A. ALCOBER
13th MONTH PAY UP FOR CITY HALL WORKERS
ILOILO CITY: Good news for employees with plantilla positions at the cityhall! Half of the 13th month pay and half of the cash gift which is P2,500 each will be released by November 15, 2012 as early Christmas cheers. This was announced by city treasurer Katherine Tingzon on Tuesday, November 6, 2012 after verifying the processing of payroll for the bonuses. However, Tingzon said that the productivity enhancement incentive (PEI) will be announced by Mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog later after savings from all city government offices are collated and known. The PEI will probably be released by the third or fourth week of December. Tingzon said that the other half of 13th month pay and cash gift were already given to the permanent employees last May 2012 as mandated by the Department of Budget and Management (DBM). The budget for the 13th month and cash gift were embodied in the annual budget of the city government and the early releases will give sufficient time for the employees to do their early shopping for gifts to friends and families, the city treasurer said. LYDIA C. PENDON
GUNMAN TAKES OUT CONVICT
CAMP VICENTE LIM, Laguna: A convict out on bail was gunned down by an unidentified culprit in a sugarcane plantation at Brgy Dalig, Balayan, Batangas province. Batangas Provincial Director Sr. Supt. Rosauro Acio identified the fatality as Nelson Alcedo, 41, of Brgy Dalig, Balayan, Batangas. Acio said that initial investigation disclosed that Alcedo was on his way home when the gunman shot him several times. Records also show that Alcedo was convicted for illegal possession of firearm and he was under probation for the said offense. Information further revealed that he was allegedly involved in several robbery and carjacking incidents within the 1st district of Batangas. ROSELLE R. AQUINO
SAN ROQUE DAM UNSCATHED IN 4.0-QUAKE
The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology doused cold water on fears that a northern Luzon dam and other structures were damaged by an earthquake that shook Pangasinan province on Monday afternoon. According to Phivolcs seismologist Henry Peñarubia, it was unlikely the magnitude 4.0 quake damaged the San Roque Dam. Phivolcs on Monday, at about 4:40 p.m., issued an earthquake report which said that the tremor’s epicenter was 21 kilometers northeast of San Manuel in Pangasinan. It was felt at Intensity 4 in San Manuel; and Intensity 4 in Baguio City. No aftershock was expected from the quake, Phivolcs said. FRANCIS EARL A. CUETO
TWO COLLARED FOR EXTORTION
CAMP PACIANO RIZAL, Sta Cruz, Laguna: Police arrested two persons for robbery extortion and usurpation of authority. Laguna Provincial Director Sr. Supt. Fausto Manzanilla Jr., identified the culprits as Jorge Tiburcio, 42, married, Phil Army, and Rosalie Llamoso, 33 years, married, jobless, of Brgy. Salac, Lumban Laguna. Manzanilla said that the two were arrested after Tiburcio introduced himself as a member of PNP and arrested Ma. Theresa Reyes, 38, single, caterer and forcibly took the valuable items of the victim including cash amounting P1,250 and gave it to Llamoso. The victim sought police assistance that resulted in the arrest of the two at Brgy. Maytalang 1, Lumban, Laguna province. Both are now detained while case is being prepared for filing in court. ROSELLE R. AQUINO
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:194
By : Thom F. Picaña Correspondent
BAGUIO CITY: Inmates of the Baguio City jail are grateful for “virtual visitations,” which rolled out during the holiday season, giving them a chance to talk to their loved ones through the Internet. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:181
By : Neil A. Alcober
SOME 42,372 undernourished kindergarten and grade 6 pupils will benefit from the Department of Education’s school-based feeding program as part of the agency’s efforts to help them do better in school. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:232
By : Thom F. Picaña
MANKAYAN, Benguet: Mining subsidiary Far Southeast Gold Resources of the African giant Goldfields Resources has declared the pull out of their drilling operations in Madaymen village. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:144
By : Rhaydz B. Barcia
LEGAZPI CITY: The unified move and strong support of Bicolanos over Ako Bicol regional political party ouster bore fruit after the Supreme Court granted a status quo ante order allowing the homegrown party-list to join the 2013 polls. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:133
By : Ritchie A. Horario
SEVERAL families were evacuates in Surigao del Norte province because of flash floods and landslides brought by the tail end of a cold front. Read more