checkmate

REGIONS IN BRIEF

GUNMEN TORCH HEAVY EQUIPMENT IN NUEVA ECIJA
BONGABON, Nueva Ecija: Four gunmen who identified themselves as members of the leftist New People’s Army (NPA) burned at least four heavy equipment of a construction firm in Brgy. Pesa on Monday. Reports to Senior Supt. Walter

Castillejos, police provincial director, said that the gunmen told the firm’s workers not be frightened, introduced themselves as NPA members, and sought the firm’s owner, Israel Reguyal of Brgy. Larcon. After a few minutes of chatting with the workers, one of the gunmen doused the construction equipment with gasoline before setting these on fire. Before fleeing, one of the gunmen fired his M16 at the equipment in flames. An hour later, the equipment owner received a call from a certain Ka Lenny and owned up to the arson. CHRIS SANSANO

IMUS DRUG PEDDLER FALLS
A NOTORIOUS pusher included on the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) Order of Battle and his cohort were arrested by elements of PDEA for selling approximately 50 grams of methamphetamine hydrochloride, locally known as shabu, to an undercover agent during a buy-bust operation on November 13, 2012 in Imus City, Cavite. Undersecretary Arturo Cacdac Jr., director general of PDEA, identified the suspects as Jimmy Furog, 40, residing in Brgy. Anabu 2E, Imus City, Cavite; and Nelson Casanova, 53, of Blk. 3, Lot 18, Magsaysay St., Villa Elisa, Brgy. Anabu, 2A in Imus. At about 3:00 p.m., a drug transaction was hatched between an undercover agent and the suspects who agreed to meet in Brgy. Anabu, 2A in Imus. Upon a pre-arranged signal, elements of PDEA Regional Office 4A under Director Emerson Margate, who were strategically positioned, immediately swooped down on the suspects after they handed-over approximately 50 grams of shabu worth over P150,000 to a PDEA poseur-buyer. Agents also seized assorted drug paraphernalia from the suspects. JING VILLAMENTE

GANG LEADER KILLED, 5 NABBED IN BOTCHED KIDNAP
POLICE operatives killed one and arrested five other suspects in a gunbattle following a foiled kidnapping attempt in Surigao City on Wednesday, police reports said on Thursday. Director Samuel Pagdilao Jr., CIDG chief, identified the slain suspects as Dino Patosa, leader of the Dino kidnapping group that is also engaged in gun-for-hire and robbery activities in the Caraga Region. The CIDG chief said that Patosa was declared dead on arrival at a hospital after being fatally wounded in encounter with their operatives at about 3:30 p.m. at Brgy. Ipil, Surigao. Pagdilao also identified the arrested crime gang members as Globert Aleria, 37, and Gerry Obenita, 27, both are former armyman; Ronald Brunio, 30; Julito Beling, 42 and Norie Apac, 40 and all are from Caraga region. The CIDG chief said that prior to Wednesday’s encounter, CIDG unit in Caraga received a report last week that Dino’s group was planning to abduct a member of a prominent Laurente family in Surigao City. Pagdilao said that their operatives from Surigao del Norte province, led by Senior Insp. Gerson Soliven, joined by CIDG from Surigao del Sur province and members of the Philippine National Police Maritime Group conducted an operation against the group based on said information. ANTHONY VARGAS

Regions

Baguio jail rolls out e-visits for inmates

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:193
By : Thom F. Picaña Correspondent

BAGUIO CITY: Inmates of the Baguio City jail are grateful for “virtual visitations,” which rolled out during the holiday season, giving them a chance to talk to their loved ones through the Internet. Read more

Food plan seeks out starving children

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:180
By : Neil A. Alcober

SOME 42,372 undernourished kindergarten and grade 6 pupils will benefit from the Department of Education’s school-based feeding program as part of the agency’s efforts to help them do better in school. Read more

Mining firm pulls out of Benguet village

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:231
By : Thom F. Picaña

MANKAYAN, Benguet: Mining subsidiary Far Southeast Gold Resources of the African giant Goldfields Resources has declared the pull out of their drilling operations in Madaymen village. Read more

Comelec allows AKO Bicol to join polls

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:143
By : Rhaydz B. Barcia

LEGAZPI CITY: The unified move and strong support of Bicolanos over Ako Bicol regional political party ouster bore fruit after the Supreme Court granted a status quo ante order allowing the homegrown party-list to join the 2013 polls. Read more

Tail-end of cold front evicts Surigao families

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:132
By : Ritchie A. Horario

SEVERAL families were evacuates in Surigao del Norte province because of flash floods and landslides brought by the tail end of a cold front. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC