checkmate

AFP neutralizes insurgent forces in Samar

THE Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) continues to gain grounds in Samar province, one of the most insurgence-infested areas in the country, as more towns were classified as development-ready and declared either insurgence-free or manageable conflict-affected areas.


Capt. Gene Orense, spokesman of the Eighth Infanry (Stormtroopers) Division (8ID) of the Philippine Army, said on Tuesday that the municipalities of San Policarpio and Sulat, both in eastern Samar, were added to the list of manageable conflict-affected and development-ready areas.

The joint declaration was signed by the municipal mayors of the said towns and the commander of the 801st Infantry Brigade of the 8ID, bringing to 12 towns and one city the total number of areas listed as free from New People’s Army (NPA) influence.

The other areas in eastern Samar that were jointly declared by the AFP and the local government units as manageable conflict-affected and ready for development are the municipalities of Taft, Balangkayan, Maydolong, Mercedes, Hernani and San Julian.

Declared as insurgence-free are the towns of Salcedo, Guian and Borongan City.

Col. Romeo Labador, 801st brigade commander, said that the situation in Samar now is far better than during the previous years.

“Samar now is more peaceful than before,” he said.

Samar, along with the Negros provinces, Davao, Caraga and the Bicol regions, is among the remaining NPA-infested areas in the country.

So far, declared among 24 provinces as insurgence-free are: Ifugao, Aklan, Apayao, Kalinga, Nueva Viscaya, Quirino, Nueva Ecija, Aurora, Biliran, Cebu, Bohol, Camiguin, Misamis Oriental, South Cotabato, La Union, Pangasinan, Tarlac, Cavite, Marinduque, Romblon, Guimaras, Siquijor, and Northern and Southern Leyte.

The military claimed that from a peak of 24,430 revolutionary fighters in mid-1980s, the group’s strength has dwindled to 4,043 due to battle losses and surrenders.

It is disputed though by the Communist Party of the Philippines, saying that the NPA revolutionary forces were steadily growing in strength and poised for big leap in the coming years.

Col. Arnulfo Marcelo Burgos Jr., AFP spokesman said that the military’s new anti-insurgency strategy, the Internal Peace and Security Plan (IPSP) Bayanihan, has been very effective and has made significant headways as far as ending the insurgency is concerned.

The IPSP Bayanihan was implemented two years ago. The strategy centers on a “whole of nation” and “people-centered” approach and less on armed confrontation in winning back the hearts and minds of the people.

Regions

Baguio jail rolls out e-visits for inmates

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:193
By : Thom F. Picaña Correspondent

BAGUIO CITY: Inmates of the Baguio City jail are grateful for “virtual visitations,” which rolled out during the holiday season, giving them a chance to talk to their loved ones through the Internet. Read more

Food plan seeks out starving children

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:180
By : Neil A. Alcober

SOME 42,372 undernourished kindergarten and grade 6 pupils will benefit from the Department of Education’s school-based feeding program as part of the agency’s efforts to help them do better in school. Read more

Mining firm pulls out of Benguet village

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:231
By : Thom F. Picaña

MANKAYAN, Benguet: Mining subsidiary Far Southeast Gold Resources of the African giant Goldfields Resources has declared the pull out of their drilling operations in Madaymen village. Read more

Comelec allows AKO Bicol to join polls

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:143
By : Rhaydz B. Barcia

LEGAZPI CITY: The unified move and strong support of Bicolanos over Ako Bicol regional political party ouster bore fruit after the Supreme Court granted a status quo ante order allowing the homegrown party-list to join the 2013 polls. Read more

Tail-end of cold front evicts Surigao families

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:132
By : Ritchie A. Horario

SEVERAL families were evacuates in Surigao del Norte province because of flash floods and landslides brought by the tail end of a cold front. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC