
| President Benigno Aquino 3rd FILE PHOTO |
Human Rights Watch (HRW) on Thursday urged Philippine President Benigno Aquino 3rd to do more to break up private armed groups, three years after 58 people were killed in the country’s worst political massacre.
The watchdog’s Asia director Brad Adams said that the government had failed to disband dozens of so-called “private armies” following the November 23, 2009 massacre in Maguindanao province that was blamed on a powerful local clan.
“Three years since the horrors of the Maguindanao massacre, the trial crawls along, half of the suspects remain at large, and the victims’ families still face threats,” Adams said in a statement.
Presidential Strategic and Communications Secretary Ramon “Ricky” Carandang said that police had carried out raids against such groups, leading to some arrests.
He cited an interior department report that showed only around 60 private armed groups remained, compared with 112 at the end of 2010.
Adams said that Aquino should revoke an order issued by his predecessor and now Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo of Pampanga province that authorized local officials to form and arm civilian paramilitary units to help law enforcers keep the peace in areas troubled by insurgencies.
HRW said that the order had been abused by many local officials in justifying their own “private armies” that, he said, they then used against political rivals.
The Ampatuan clan is accused of carrying out the 2009 massacre in their Maguindanao provincial stronghold to stop a rival, Esmael Mangudadatu, from running against one of its members in elections the following year.
The victims included Mangudadatu’s wife and sister, their lawyers and a large group of journalists.
Philippine police said that 103 people have been arrested over the massacre, including the clan patriarch. However 92 other suspects remain at large.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:193
By : Thom F. Picaña Correspondent
BAGUIO CITY: Inmates of the Baguio City jail are grateful for “virtual visitations,” which rolled out during the holiday season, giving them a chance to talk to their loved ones through the Internet. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:180
By : Neil A. Alcober
SOME 42,372 undernourished kindergarten and grade 6 pupils will benefit from the Department of Education’s school-based feeding program as part of the agency’s efforts to help them do better in school. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:231
By : Thom F. Picaña
MANKAYAN, Benguet: Mining subsidiary Far Southeast Gold Resources of the African giant Goldfields Resources has declared the pull out of their drilling operations in Madaymen village. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:143
By : Rhaydz B. Barcia
LEGAZPI CITY: The unified move and strong support of Bicolanos over Ako Bicol regional political party ouster bore fruit after the Supreme Court granted a status quo ante order allowing the homegrown party-list to join the 2013 polls. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:132
By : Ritchie A. Horario
SEVERAL families were evacuates in Surigao del Norte province because of flash floods and landslides brought by the tail end of a cold front. Read more