checkmate

12,000 displaced in Davao flash floods

DAVAO CITY: Three people died due to drowning from a flood that submerged a large swath of farmland in southern Philippines, officials said on Friday.


Rescuers are also looking for an 11-year-old boy who was swept away by flood in Davao Oriental province, according to Liza Mazo, chief of the Office of Civil Defense in Davao Region.

Mazo said that over 12,000 people were displaced due to the flooding and 500 of them are already in evacuation centers. Hardest-hit is the rice-producing Davao del Norte province. The Liboganon River, which traverses the province overflowed, inundating five towns in the province.

Sonio Sanchez, Provincial Disaster officer, said that the flooding destroyed infrastructure, properties and P18-million worth of rice and other crops.

Torrential rains have been lashing the region since last week due to the presence of an inter-tropical convergence zone over Mindanao’s southeastern seaboard.

Regions

Baguio jail rolls out e-visits for inmates

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:193
By : Thom F. Picaña Correspondent

BAGUIO CITY: Inmates of the Baguio City jail are grateful for “virtual visitations,” which rolled out during the holiday season, giving them a chance to talk to their loved ones through the Internet. Read more

Food plan seeks out starving children

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:180
By : Neil A. Alcober

SOME 42,372 undernourished kindergarten and grade 6 pupils will benefit from the Department of Education’s school-based feeding program as part of the agency’s efforts to help them do better in school. Read more

Mining firm pulls out of Benguet village

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:231
By : Thom F. Picaña

MANKAYAN, Benguet: Mining subsidiary Far Southeast Gold Resources of the African giant Goldfields Resources has declared the pull out of their drilling operations in Madaymen village. Read more

Comelec allows AKO Bicol to join polls

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:143
By : Rhaydz B. Barcia

LEGAZPI CITY: The unified move and strong support of Bicolanos over Ako Bicol regional political party ouster bore fruit after the Supreme Court granted a status quo ante order allowing the homegrown party-list to join the 2013 polls. Read more

Tail-end of cold front evicts Surigao families

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Regions   |  Hits:132
By : Ritchie A. Horario

SEVERAL families were evacuates in Surigao del Norte province because of flash floods and landslides brought by the tail end of a cold front. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC