ZAMBOANGA CITY: The military’s Western Mindanao Command, which covers half of Mindanao, is now without any spokesman after its information officer was ordered to report to the office of its former commander, Lt. Gen. Noel Coballes, now the Armed Forces Vice chief of staff.
Lt. Col. Randolph Cabangbang said that he is now with Coballes in Manila for a new assignment.
“After 17 years, I am leaving Mindanao. I am transferring to the Office of the Vice chief of staff. It was fun to work with you and I am hoping to return soon. Thank you,” Cabangbang told journalists.
Former Sixth Infantry Division commander, Lt. Gen. Rey Ardo was named in October as the new chief of the Western Mindanao Command headquarters in Zamboanga City.
And previous attempts by local journalists to interview Ardo had failed because he would always refer to Cabangbang.
Ardo also did not meet with journalists since then and no press releases had been issued to members of the media despite reports of violence and fighting between troops and rebels in the Western Mindanao the past weeks.
Local journalists said that they now rely on news reports from army commanders in the provinces.
Journalists during Coballes’ stint also had a similar problem because he would not speak to the press and had banned news photographers from taking pictures of wounded soldiers inside the military hospital in Western Mindanao Command.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:193
By : Thom F. Picaña Correspondent
BAGUIO CITY: Inmates of the Baguio City jail are grateful for “virtual visitations,” which rolled out during the holiday season, giving them a chance to talk to their loved ones through the Internet. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:180
By : Neil A. Alcober
SOME 42,372 undernourished kindergarten and grade 6 pupils will benefit from the Department of Education’s school-based feeding program as part of the agency’s efforts to help them do better in school. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:231
By : Thom F. Picaña
MANKAYAN, Benguet: Mining subsidiary Far Southeast Gold Resources of the African giant Goldfields Resources has declared the pull out of their drilling operations in Madaymen village. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:143
By : Rhaydz B. Barcia
LEGAZPI CITY: The unified move and strong support of Bicolanos over Ako Bicol regional political party ouster bore fruit after the Supreme Court granted a status quo ante order allowing the homegrown party-list to join the 2013 polls. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:132
By : Ritchie A. Horario
SEVERAL families were evacuates in Surigao del Norte province because of flash floods and landslides brought by the tail end of a cold front. Read more