DepEd keeps watch on damage to school buildings
EDUCATION Secretary Armin Luistro has ordered the Department of Education’s (DepEd’s) disaster risk management office to continue its monitoring on the extent of damages in public schools affected by Typhoon Pablo which left a wide swath of destruction in Visayas and Mindanao regions.
As of Tuesday, Luistro reported that the total number of schools division affected by Typhoon Pablo reached 56, where some 12 schools reported damaged properties. The schools are in Biliran, Cagayan de Oro City, Compostela Valley, Davao City, Davao Oriental, Panabo City and Koronadal City.
To date, the DepEd chief said that there are 128 schools being used as evacuation centers which house some 10,000 families.
The provinces of Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental reported the most physical damages.
Earlier in the week, DepEd has conducted its regular nationwide simultaneous emergency response drill aimed at reducing disaster risk and mitigating loss of life and limbs.
In the previous cases, DepEd has used quick reaction funds for repair of damaged school buildings.
Luistro said that the agency’s disaster risk management teams at all levels remain activated and are continuously monitoring and assessing damages and the response needed.
