REGIONS IN BRIEF
DOLE PAYS 358 STUDENTS IN SUMMER JOBS
ILOILO CITY: The second batch of high school and college students who underwent summer jobs at the city hall here received their final check payment from the Department of Labor and Employment coursed through the Iloilo City government, on Tuesday.
The payment of P1,864 covers the 40 percent counterpart of the Labor department, while the city government had already paid its counterpart of 60 percent last July, for a total of 358 students who have undergone summer jobs and training in May and June 2012 in different city hall offices and departments. Mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog, assisted by Cookie Benitez, chief of the city public employment service office, led the awarding of checks to the students under the special program for employment of student of the city government. The summer job program, ongoing for the past five years, is considered by students as a privilege to work and learn the function of city hall and its many pro-poor services and programs. LYDIA C. PENDON
ABRA POWER RESTORED AFTER SETTLEMENT
BANGUED, Abra: After 24-hours of darkness, electric power was finally restored in Abra on Tuesday. Aboitiz Power Renewables Inc. informed the media that it resumed “supply of power to Abreco [Abra Electric Cooperative] after the latter settled their obligations.” Abreco, Aboitiz said also committed to pay in full on or before December 24, 2012 their current bill as well as process their Wholesale Electric Spot Market membership. Juan Alfonso, vice president of Aboitiz, said, “we would like to thank the management of Abreco and the leaders of Abra for acting on this matter.” On December 10, Aboitiz announced the indefinite suspension of power deliveries to Abreco due to the cooperative’s unsettled financial obligations to the independent power producer. Aboitiz provides 100 percent of the power of Abreco, which serves the whole Abra province and its 27 municipalities. LARRY MADARANG
TOXIC TOYS SOLD EVERYWHERE
ALMOST all toys sold in stores in Cebu City contained high levels of toxic chemicals, an environmental group advocate said on Tuesday. The EcoWaste Coalition studied the toys sample bought in different parts of the country and found out that Cebu City sells the most number of toxic toys in the country. Toys samples from the cities of Cebu, Cabanatuan, Gapan, Pasay, Manila and Davao contained high levels of heavy metal toxics such as lead, arsenic, cadmium chromium, mercury and antimony. In Cebu, 28 out of the 50 toy samples tested were considered toxic toys. Davao ranked second in the list with 23 toxic toys out of 50 samples tested. Cabanatuan, Gapan in Nueva Ejica province, Pasay and Manila fall in the third to sixth spot. “Our six-city sampling shows that toys containing harmful substances are everywhere, posing serious health risks for children,” said Thony Dizon, coordinator of the EcoWaste Coalition’s Project. FATIMA CIELO B. CANCEL
BENGUET SHARES P200,000 TO TYPHOON VICTIMS
LA TRINIDAD, Benguet: “Although we need funds, it is necessary to share with those in need,” so said Gov. Nestor Fongwan of Benguet province, as he requested the release of P200,000 from the reserved calamity fund of the province. The request was made during the regular session of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan on Monday. Fongwan requested for the release of P100,000 each for the provinces of Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental. In 2009, the province was the worst hit when typhoon Pepeng (international codename: Parma) struck the country. More than a hundred lives lost and hundreds of millions worth of infrastructure and agricultural crops damaged. “It is about time we payback,” Fongwan said. LARRY MADARANG
DUMP FIREWORKS- DOH
ILOILO CITY: The Department of Health regional office is urging Ilonggos to celebrate Christmas and New Year without firecrackers so as to evade firecracker-related injuries especially among the children. Dr. Glen Alonsabe, chief of the Health department regional epidemiology and surveillance unit, said that it has been the practice of Ilonggos to make noises in welcoming the New Year by lighting firecrackers, luces and other pyrotechnics that may cause injuries and even death if not handled properly. Mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog had designated in every city district for fireworks display and sale. The Health department, on the other hand, intensified the campaign against the use of fireworks and firecrackers with Aksyon Paputok Injury Reduction or APIR program this year. Mabilog also reminded barangay officials to campaign against the use or reduce the use of firecrackers and other pyrotechnic materials in their respective areas so as to avoid more harm and injuries. LYDIA C. PENDON
ZAMBALES MAPS OUT GROWTH STRATEGY
IBA, Zambales: Top officials of Zambales province sat together the other day to map out long term development master plan for the whole province. Gov. Hermogenes Ebdane Jr. who called for the planning workshop said that the plan will be based on the Blueprint 2020 master plant that was formulated for the Zambales provincial government, after he took over as its executive in 2010. Ebdane said during the opening of the two-day workshop held on December 10 and 11, that he believes that the formula for success calls for a coordinated and concerted effort among all local government units and agencies in the province. “The Blueprint 2020 strategy is geared towards the development of seven focus areas: tourism, social welfare, health, infrastructure, revenue generation, environment and youth and sports development,” the governor said. ANTHONY BAYARONG
MASCOTS TAPPED IN ANTI-CRIME DRIVE
THE Western Visayas Regional police office has tapped the services of three mascots as part of its public awareness campaign for crime prevention in the region especially during the Yuletide season. Chief Supt. Agrimero Cruz Jr., regional police commander, said that the three mascots, namely, “Masaligan”, “Matarong” and “Dagoy,” will work along with regular policemen and village watchmen in crime prevention. “We expect these three mascots to assist the police and village watchmen of ensuring peaceful Christmas in the region and give the public some safety tips against criminals,” Cruz said. The police official said that the three mascots would be deployed and making their rounds at schools, malls and other public places to distribute pamphlets about safety tips for the Yuletide season. Cruz added that the mascots would also focus in giving and teaching school children on crime prevention and how to avoid being victimized by crimes such as petty crimes and bullying that is common in school areas. ANTHONY VARGAS
