GOVERNMENT troops undergoing humanitarian mission in the hinterlands of Iloilo province were attacked on Monday by members of the communist New People’s Army (NPA) in total disregard of the 18-day unilateral ceasefire or stop of military offensive (SOMO) earlier declared by the Armed Forces of the Philippines.
Maj. Gen. Jose Mabanta, commander of the Third Infantry Division, said that the assault occurred at about 10 a.m. in Sitio Anoy, Barangay Cabalaunan in the municipality of Miag-ao, while a Bayanihan Team of soldiers from the 301st Infantry Brigade of the Philippine Army were conducting peace and development activities in the area.
Initial report from the field, Mabanta said, indicated that one enlisted personnel was killed in action and undetermined number on the rebels side.
“While we are suspending all deliberate offensive military operations, we will continue our presence in communities to protect civilian communities, government and civilian infrastructure in order to maintain peace and security in the area,” Mabanta said.
“We will continue to observe the SOMO. The Army’s commitment to peace will always be present especially during this Christmas season. Communities should be given the opportunity to celebrate the yuletide peacefully,” he added.
He added that his troops are now conducting hot pursuit operations against the rebels as part of their defensive security operations.
Military officials announced the ceasefire order on Saturday. It would be effective starting midnight of December 16 up to 1 a.m. of January 3.
Col. Arnulfo Marcelo Burgos Jr., Armed Forces spokesman had earlier clarified that under the terms of the ceasefire order, the only prohibition is the conduct of “deliberate” offensive operation such as combat operations.
Burgos said that soldiers can retaliate if attacked and would continue to perform their routine security patrols within the necessary protective radius to protect communities, government establishments, investment and economic facilities, vital structures and military camps and detachments.
“The very purpose of the enforcement of SOMO is for them [NPA] to have the opportunity to spend the Christmas season with their families, go down, so that they will realize what is missing in their lives in waging armed violence,” he added.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:91
By : Thom F. Picaña Correspondent
BAGUIO CITY: Inmates of the Baguio City jail are grateful for “virtual visitations,” which rolled out during the holiday season, giving them a chance to talk to their loved ones through the Internet. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:87
By : Neil A. Alcober
SOME 42,372 undernourished kindergarten and grade 6 pupils will benefit from the Department of Education’s school-based feeding program as part of the agency’s efforts to help them do better in school. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:94
By : Thom F. Picaña
MANKAYAN, Benguet: Mining subsidiary Far Southeast Gold Resources of the African giant Goldfields Resources has declared the pull out of their drilling operations in Madaymen village. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:61
By : Rhaydz B. Barcia
LEGAZPI CITY: The unified move and strong support of Bicolanos over Ako Bicol regional political party ouster bore fruit after the Supreme Court granted a status quo ante order allowing the homegrown party-list to join the 2013 polls. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:62
By : Ritchie A. Horario
SEVERAL families were evacuates in Surigao del Norte province because of flash floods and landslides brought by the tail end of a cold front. Read more