1,166 still living in evacuation centers

  • Print

THE National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council on Sunday reported that at least 1,166 people are still staying in evacuation centers in the wake of Typhoon Auring (international codename: Sonamu).


The Disaster agency said that Auring affected 2,611 families, or 10,597 people in 30 villages in 11 towns and two cities in five provinces. Of these, 284 families or 1,166 people are staying in eight evacuation centers.

At least eight houses were destroyed while one was damaged in Dipolog City and in Puerto Princesa City, it added.

The agency said that the death toll remained at one—Pedro Francisco, 35, who was hit by an uprooted coconut tree in Rizal, Palawan province.

Meanwhile, the Risk Reduction council also reported over the weekend that the death toll from Tropical Storm Quinta (international codename: Wukong) rose to 23 from 20, while the damage also rose to P694.985 million.

The latest fatalities identified were Samson Barrido, 25, resident of Zone 5, Cabilawan, Barotac Nuevo, Iloilo, which was previously reported missing; Benjie Palec, 28, of Barangay Imbang, San Enrique, Iloilo; and Jade Turang 3 of Barangay Oyang, Libacao, Aklan were all died due to drowning.

It also noted an increase in the number of people affected after getting reports from Santa Barbara in Iloilo, while at least three remained missing while three were injured.

As of Saturday, the agency reported that Quinta had affected 79,097 families or 377,293 people in 694 villages in 61 towns and six cities in nine provinces.

While the damage caused by Quinta went up to P694,985,234.33, including P548,129,000 in infrastructure and P146,856,234.33 in agriculture.