checkmate

Fate of many kidnap victims unknown

ZAMBOANGA CITY: It has been over two years since Japanese treasure hunter Katayama Mamaito was abducted by the Abu Sayyaf on the island of Pangutaran in the southern province of Sulu.



Police said that Katayama, whose real name is Toshio Ito, 66, is still alive, but there have been no efforts from either the Philippines or Japanese government to rescue him. He was last reported to have been helping the Abu Sayyaf in cooking food for the rebels and freely moves around, according to Senior Supt. Antonio Freyra, the provincial police chief.

Aside from Katayama, the Abu Sayyaf is also holding Jordanian journalist Baker Atyani, 43, and his two Filipino assistants Rolando Letrero, 22 and Ramelito Vela, 39. The trio went to Sulu in June to secretly film the Abu Sayyaf for a documentary on Al Arabiya News Channel. Atyani traveled to the province in secrecy to interview terrorist leaders, the Philippine military said. He had also clandestinely interviewed al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden before the 9/11 attacks in the United States.

Freyra said that two European wildlife photographers Ewold Horn, 52, from Holland; and Lorenzo Vinciguerre, 47, from Switzerland, kidnapped in February last year in Tawi-Tawi province had been brought to Sulu.

“We have been constantly monitoring the situation of all these kidnapped victims now in Sulu, but the Abu Sayyaf, as in the past, is highly mobile and would change their hideouts from time to time to avoid detection by government authorities. We have people on the ground monitoring developments and feeding us intelligence about these victims,” Freyra told The Manila Times.

He said that the government has a strict no-ransom policy and that authorities would not negotiate with terrorists. “We would like these problems resolved soon and our operations to locate the victims continue,” he said.

Police in Tawi-Tawi said that the two were seized by members of the Moro National Liberation Front (MILF). Another group of kidnappers are also holding Malaysian fish trader Pang Choon Pong, who was seized in October 2011 in Tawi-Tawi, but his fate remains unknown.

In November, Malaysia said that two of its nationals were seized by five gunmen disguised as policemen from a palm oil plantation in Sabah near the Philippine border.

It said that the two, who are cousins, were working for the plantation in Lahad Datu and had been taken at gunpoint. Their companions said that the gunmen spoke in Malayu and Tausug, a dialect commonly used in the provinces of Tawi-Tawi and Sulu.

There were no immediate reports whether the foreigners are being held in either of the two provinces, but Malaysia said that the victims could be in Tawi-Tawi.

Abu Sayyaf gunmen are also holding an Australian adventurer, Warren Rodwell, a former soldier, who was kidnapped in the seaside town of Ipil in Zamboanga Sibugay on December 5, 2011.

Rodwell, 54, is married to a Filipino, Miraflor Gutang, but local police said that the marriage was in trouble within months after their June 2011 wedding.

Shortly after Rodwell’s kidnapping, the then local police chief Edwin Verzon said that Gutang had filed two complaints of abuse against the Australian and Gutang’s parents said that she had moved out of their shared house just two weeks previously. Verzon was later sacked for his comments and governor Rommel Jalosjos imposed a blackout on Rodwell news coverage.

Just recently, a video clip of Rodwell—a prolific world traveler and an English teacher in China—was uploaded in YouTube as a proof of life. Rodwell, who appeared frail and desperate, said that he does not trust the Abu Sayyaf and the Australian government and holds no hope that he would be released before the end of the year.

Rodwell’s wife also has not issued any statement about the latest proof of life of her husband. The Abu Sayyaf has demanded $2-million for Rodwell’s freedom, but Gutang previously appealed to the kidnappers to free her husband, saying that he is not rich and that they cannot afford to pay the ransom.

Rodwell has appealed for his safe release in a video sent by his captors to his wife shortly after his kidnapping. “To my family please do whatever to raise the two million US dollars they are asking for my release as soon as possible. To the government, to the Filipino government especially the government of Zamboanga Sibugay, [Governor] Rommel [Jalosjos], I’m appealing to you please help me to coordinate with my family to raise whatever money is being asked.”

The kidnappers eventually lowered their demand to $460,000 in another video released by the Abu Sayyaf in March.

Maj. Gen. Ricardo Rainier Cruz, commander of the First Infantry Division, said Rodwell is being held in Basilan province, just off Zamboanga City.

“Our efforts to locate Warren Rodwell are continuing, but the kidnappers have been constantly moving from one location to another and that is our problem now. He is also being used by the Abu Sayyaf as human shield and the safety of Warren is our top concern also,” Cruz said in an interview.

The Abu Sayyaf, which means “bearer of the sword,” has been tied to dozens of kidnappings over the past decade in Basilan, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi—all in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao; and Zamboanga City and other areas in western Mindanao. The group, authorities said, has links with the al-Qaeda and Jemaah Islamiyah terror networks and is responsible in many bombings in key areas not only in Mindanao, but also in Metro Manila.

Some leaders of the MILF the country’s largest Muslim rebel group, were also tagged in a number of abductions, some involving foreign missionaries in Mindanao.

Authorities also blamed the communist New People’s Army in several abductions of soldiers, policemen and even civilians suspected of working or passing information to the military about the rebel group. But unlike the Abu Sayyaf or the MILF, the NPA usually abduct victims for political reasons. Kidnapping for ransom remain the biggest threat to personal security, second to terrorism in the restive but mineral-rich region of Mindanao.

Security officials said that the Abu Sayyaf is the most notorious militant group involved in kidnappings, grabbing mostly wealthy Filipino traders and foreigners, but lately had been targeting even ordinary people who can pay ransom for as low as P100,000. Those who cannot pay are beheaded.

Officials claim that the Abu Sayyaf uses its ransom collections to purchase weapons and fund future terror attacks. The group is believed to be channelings funds to al-Qaeda and Jemaah Islamiyah.

Among the high-profile kidnappings carried out by the Abu Sayyaf was the 2000 cross-border raid in Malaysia where they took 21 mostly western holidaymakers and ransomed them off for millions of dollars to private negotiators of foreign governments whose citizens had been kidnapped.

They also kidnapped Jeffrey Craig Schilling, an American citizen, while traveling in Sulu in 2000.

This was followed the next year with the kidnapping of 20 people, including American missionaries Martin and Gracia Burnham and compatriot Guillermo Sobero, who was later beheaded.

Abu Sayyaf militants also kidnapped dozens of Filipinos, including teachers and students and a Catholic priest in a raid of a town in Basilan. This was followed through the years by kidnapping Filipino traders, but in 2008 the militants seized a popular local television news anchor, Ces Drilon, and his two cameramen and a guide while on their way to clandestinely interview an Abu Sayyaf leader.

In January 2009, Abu Sayyaf kidnapped three members of the International Red Cross—Andreas Notter of Switzerland; Eugenio Vagni of Italy and Filipina Mary Jean Lacaba. There was suspicion that ransoms were paid to the kidnappers either in Malaysia or Indonesia after authorities claimed that Mauiya, an Indian Jemaah Islamiya militant, was negotiating with the hostages’ representatives.

Sri Lankan peace worker Omar Jaleel of the Non-Violent Peace Force was also taken in Basilan the same year; so were other Filipinos seized in the province and Zamboanga City.

In 1998, Italian priest Luciano Benedetti was kidnapped by rogue MILF rebels and released after eight weeks in captivity. In 2001, renegade MILF rebels also snatched Italian priest Giuseppe Pierantoni as the 44-year-old from Bologna preached in the parish church of Dimataling town, Zamboanga del Sur, and missionary Giancarlo Bossi, of the Pontifical Institute of Foreign Missions, in Payao town, Zamboanga del Sur in 2007.

In 2009, rogue MILF rebels also kidnapped Irish priest Michael Sinnott from his missionary house in Pagadian City and freed him months later after ransom was paid.

Officials said that kidnapping-for-ransom has become a lucrative business for rebels and criminal syndicates in Mindanao, where many areas are underdeveloped and job opportunities are scarce. Sometimes, gangs kidnap civilians and hand them over to rebels in exchange for a cut of the ransom. Poverty has been blamed for many kidnappings in the south.

Top Stories

Experts insist on Smartmatic, Comelec scam

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Stories   |  Hits:96
By : The Manila Times Special Reports Team

Experts reacting to Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr.’s response to The Manila Times banner story on Friday, January 11 “Smartmatic and Comelec collusion bared”—insist Read more

PH may grow above 6% in 2013 to 2015

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Stories   |  Hits:155
By : Mayvelin U. Caraballo Reporter

The Philippine economy is projected to grow above 6 percent for each year until 2015 despite risks from the eurozone and the United States, the World Bank said in its newly released Global Economic Prospects (GEP) 2013 report. Read more

Senate war now between ex-fugitive, crusading crook

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Stories   |  Hits:100
By : Ritchie Horario Reporter

The Senate “word war” is now between Senators Panfilo “Ping” Lacson and Miriam Defensor-Santiago, who on Wednesday fired off verbal bombs meant to humiliate each other. Read more

Comelec to monitor campaigning on FB

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Stories   |  Hits:45
By : Johanna M. Sampan Reporter

Candidates may soon find their online campaign gimmicks on popular social networking sites regulated by the Commission on Elections (Comelec), too. Read more

Scientist finds way to stop HIV from developing into AIDS

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Stories   |  Hits:71
By : AFP

SYDNEY: An Australian scientist said on Wednesday that he had discovered how to turn the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) against itself to stop it progressing to acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), describing it as a major breakthrough in ... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC