ALL roads lead to Quiapo on Wednesday when millions of Catholic devotees are expected to celebrate the annual Feast of the Black Nazarene, highlighted by a procession that in the past lasted almost a day.
Malacañang on Monday assured the public that Metro Manila is free from any terrorist threat and that the Philippine National Police is “100 percent” ready to safeguard the millions of devotees of the Black Nazarene.
Warnings last year by President Benigno Aquino 3rd of a possible terrorist attack during the procession failed to dampen the enthusiasm of bare-footed devotees. Organizers predict that a bigger number of people will join the procession tomorrow.
At a regular press briefing, Palace deputy spokesman Abigail Valte said that the police body is still evaluating the possibility of cutting cell signals during the procession.
The two big telecommunication companies in the country said on Monday that they have yet to be advised on the need to turn off wireless signals near the route of the procession.
“No advice yet [on signal jamming/blocking of communication in the route of the procession],” said Yoly Crisanto, head of Corporate Communications of Globe Telecom.
“We have no word about that,” said Ramon “Mon” Isberto, head of Smart/Philippine Long Distance Telephone, or PLDT’s public affairs department.
Devotees started their pilgrimage to Quiapo on Monday, where a procession of replicas of the Black Nazarene was held around the Quiapo Church.
Msgr. Clemente Ignacio, rector of the Minor Basilica of Quiapo, said that the replica procession was necessary to reduce the number of people who would attend the celebration tomorrow.
“The January 9 procession usually lasts 10 to 12 hours so this is to somehow lessen it,” he said.
The pahalik or kissing of the image of the Black Nazarene by its devotees starts on Tuesday.
The traditional act, an expression of devotion to the image, which is believed to be miraculous, begins at 1 p.m., at the Quirino Grandstand in Rizal Park, Manila.
Besides the pahalik, a Holy Mass and healing service will be held at 5 p.m. The overnight vigil begins at 7 p.m.
On Wednesday, a solemn High Mass officiated by Manila Archbishop Luis Antonio Tagle will be celebrated at 6 a.m. in Luneta. The “traslacion” of the image from Quirino Grandstand to Quiapo Church will then follow at 7 a.m.
Hourly Masses will also be celebrated at the Quiapo Church from 3 a.m. until 12 noon and will resume at 3 p.m. until 9 p.m.
The procession route will be as follows: from Quirino Grandstand right to Katigbak Drive through Padre Burgos Street, left to Taft Avenue through McArthur Bridge, right to Palanca Street through under Quezon Bridge, left to Quezon Boulevard, right to Arlegui Street, right to Fraternal Street, right to Vergara Street, left to Duque de Alba Street, left to Castillejos Street, left to Farnecio Street, right to Arlegui Street, left to Nepomuceno Street, left to Aguila Street, right to Carcer Street, right to Hidalgo Street through Plaza del Carmen, left to Bilibid Viejo through Gil Puyat Street, left to Guzman Street, right to Hidalgo Street, left to Barbosa Street, right to Globo de Oro Street through under Quezon Bridge, right to Palanca Street, right to Villalobos Street through Plaza Miranda and to Quiapo Church.
The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority advised motorists to expect heavy traffic on both lanes of Roxas Boulevard and Bonifacio Drive, from Anda Circle to T.M. Kalaw, Quezon Boulevard southbound lane from Recto to Palanca (subway-Isetann, Recto), Lerma from Padre Campa to Quezon Boulevard; westbound lane of Taft Avenue/Finance and Lagusnilad/Padre Burgos, P. Burgos/Taft Avenue from Freedom Triangle up to northbound lane, Villegas/N.A Lopez and southbound lane of 25th Street/Bonifacio Drive.
The Light Rail Transit (LRT) Authority announced on Monday that they would accept barefoot passengers on Wednesday but insisted that they would still implement their “no inspection, no entry” policy.
The LRT expects a high number of passengers on Wednesday since most of the roads in Manila will be impassable or beset with heavy traffic. It also set up help desks in each station and requested the Philippine Red Cross to deploy additional medical teams in the busiest stations.
Red Cross will deploy 20 ambulances, six emergency vehicles, four rubber boats and over 400 highly trained volunteers nurses and first aiders in different parts of Manila during the procession.
Meanwhile, the Department of Education on Monday announced the suspension of classes in schools in Manila that are on the route of the procession.
The Education department said on Wednesday that classes in Manila High School, Victoriano Mapa High School, Apolinario Mabini Elementary School, Geronimo Santiago Elementary School, Ramon Avanceña High School, Manila Science High School and Araullo High School are suspended.
Earlier, the Colegio de San Juan de Letran, Adamson University, University of the East, Manila, Mapua Institute of Technology, Far Eastern University, University of Santo Tomas and San Beda College also announced the suspension of classes and office works in their respective institutions on Wednesday.
With reports from Fatima Cielo B. Cancel, Ruben D. Manahan 4th, Neil A. Alcober and Rosalie Periabras
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Stories | Hits:94
By : The Manila Times Special Reports Team
Experts reacting to Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr.’s response to The Manila Times banner story on Friday, January 11 “Smartmatic and Comelec collusion bared”—insist Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Stories | Hits:152
By : Mayvelin U. Caraballo Reporter
The Philippine economy is projected to grow above 6 percent for each year until 2015 despite risks from the eurozone and the United States, the World Bank said in its newly released Global Economic Prospects (GEP) 2013 report. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Stories | Hits:98
By : Ritchie Horario Reporter
The Senate “word war” is now between Senators Panfilo “Ping” Lacson and Miriam Defensor-Santiago, who on Wednesday fired off verbal bombs meant to humiliate each other. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Stories | Hits:44
By : Johanna M. Sampan Reporter
Candidates may soon find their online campaign gimmicks on popular social networking sites regulated by the Commission on Elections (Comelec), too. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Stories | Hits:70
By : AFP
SYDNEY: An Australian scientist said on Wednesday that he had discovered how to turn the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) against itself to stop it progressing to acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), describing it as a major breakthrough in ... Read more