Kawit gunman overdosed on drugs

  • Print

Drug overdose, coupled with excessive intake of alcohol, may have triggered a psychotic episode that may have led Ronald Bae to go on a killing rampage in his barangay in Kawit, Cavite last week.



This was the conclusion made by medical experts after police investigation showed that Bae and his cohort John Paul Lopez had a drinking spree that lasted for almost a day.

Lopez admitted that he and Bae were under the heavy influence of methamphetamine hydrochloride or shabu.

Doctors said that Bae’s depression, intensified by intoxication and drug abuse, developed into some form of psychosis.

The psychosis, they said, can cause the patient to suffer from delusions and hallucinations.

Lopez, who assisted Bae by reloading the gun, said that anger was very apparent in the face of the gunman at the time of the indiscriminate shooting. He said that his companion looked like someone possessed by the devil.

Before the shooting rampage, Bae had a quarrel with his wife, Maria Elena, who went to her relatives for fear that her husband might kill her.

Bae was also reportedly frustrated over his loss in the 2010 barangay elections.

Witnesses said that Bae’s rampage started at about 9:30 a.m. on January 4 in Barangay Tabon 1 in Kawit, shooting everyone he met with a .45-caliber pistol.

His rampage ended at about 11 a.m. of the same day when he was killed while trading shots with responding policemen.

Bae’s remains will be laid to rest today at the Angelus Eternal Gardens in Imus City, Cavite.
He left five children, the eldest aged 12.