Former sen. Ramon “Jun” Magsaysay Jr. has joined lawmakers and civil society organizations in calling for a total gun ban to prevent tragedies following a spate of killings that has plagued the country in the past weeks.
“The government should immediately take a bold move and put an end to senseless killings. It is time to enforce a permanent ban on guns,” said the former lawmaker, who has been active in promoting a gunless society since 1997.
Magsaysay, who was elected as Philippine senator in 1995 to 2007, said that the government should consider making gun bans permanent and allow only qualified individuals such as those from the police, military and security groups to carry firearms.
Calls to enforce stricter gun control laws sparked after the death of two children in New Year celebrations and a shooting rampage in Kawit, Cavite last week that killed eight people, including two children and injured 12 others.
Specifically, he urged the House of Representatives to pass pending bills in the legislature aimed at imposing harsher punishment against individuals not allowed to carry firearms.
“Only responsible and qualified citizens should be issued permits to carry firearms,” said Magsaysay.
The former senator was one of the signatories of a letter in 2011 urging President Benigno Aquino 3rd to consolidate two bills—proposed Citizen Protection Act of 2010 and the Firearms Regulation Act of 2010—and certify as urgent to deter street crimes.
“As a crime prevention measure, the consolidated bill will make the harmless act of carrying a gun by unauthorized persons in public places a criminal offense before such harmless act turns into a violent crime.
“Guns should be authorized only for those directly and primarily engaged in police, military, or security services who are in uniform and on duty, and even then only to enforce the law under strict and clearly defined guidelines,” the group called Mga Tagatulak ng Kapayapaan said in their letter to the President.
At the same time, Magsaysay said that law enforcement agencies should account for loose firearms, of some 550,000.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Stories | Hits:94
By : The Manila Times Special Reports Team
Experts reacting to Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr.’s response to The Manila Times banner story on Friday, January 11 “Smartmatic and Comelec collusion bared”—insist Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Stories | Hits:151
By : Mayvelin U. Caraballo Reporter
The Philippine economy is projected to grow above 6 percent for each year until 2015 despite risks from the eurozone and the United States, the World Bank said in its newly released Global Economic Prospects (GEP) 2013 report. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Stories | Hits:97
By : Ritchie Horario Reporter
The Senate “word war” is now between Senators Panfilo “Ping” Lacson and Miriam Defensor-Santiago, who on Wednesday fired off verbal bombs meant to humiliate each other. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Stories | Hits:44
By : Johanna M. Sampan Reporter
Candidates may soon find their online campaign gimmicks on popular social networking sites regulated by the Commission on Elections (Comelec), too. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Stories | Hits:70
By : AFP
SYDNEY: An Australian scientist said on Wednesday that he had discovered how to turn the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) against itself to stop it progressing to acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), describing it as a major breakthrough in ... Read more