NEW YORK: A Bangladeshi man with alleged al-Qaeda links was arrested on Wednesday (Thursday in Manila) in New York on charges of trying to use a 1,000 pound bomb to destroy the city’s Federal Reserve building.
Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis, 21, was arrested in Manhattan after he tried to detonate what he thought was a live bomb, but was actually a dummy provided in a sting operation, federal prosecutors in Brooklyn said.
Nafis traveled to the United States in January 2012 “for the purpose of conducting a terrorist attack on US soil,” the federal prosecutor’s office in Brooklyn said in a statement.
“Nafis, who reported having overseas connections to al-Qaeda, attempted to recruit individuals to form a terrorist cell inside the United States,” the prosecutor’s office said.
“Nafis also actively sought out al-Qaeda contacts within the United States to assist him in carrying out an attack. Unbeknownst to Nafis, one of the individuals he attempted to recruit was actually a source for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).”
Nafis allegedly wrote a statement claiming responsibility for his planned attack in which he said he wanted to “destroy America” and referred to slain al-Qaeda founder Osama bin Laden as “beloved.”
He has been charged with attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction and attempting to support al-Qaeda.
FBI acting assistant director Mary Galligan said that the attempt to “destroy a landmark building and kill or maim untold numbers of innocent bystanders is about as serious as the imagination can conjure.”
But the suspect never posed an immediate risk because two people he thought were his accomplices “were actually an FBI source and an FBI undercover agent.”
The Federal Reserve building, part of the network that makes up the US central bank, houses one of the world’s largest gold deposits, consisting mostly of bullion belonging to other countries.
The criminal complaint alleges that Nafis had proposed several other possible targets, including the nearby New York Stock Exchange and an unnamed high-ranking US official.
The actual plot appeared to go forward smoothly for the alleged bomber, since every step of the way he was being helped by the undercover agents.
Early on Wednesday, Nafis and an agent went by van to a warehouse in New York, prosecutors said, and the defendant said that he was ready to do a suicide attack if his initial plan was thwarted.
He then assembled the bomb inside the van with phony explosives taken from the warehouse, the complaint says.
The agent and Nafis then drove to the New York Federal Reserve Bank, with Nafis finishing preparations to the fake bomb, while measures were taken among law enforcement bodies to make sure that the vehicle was not stopped prematurely.
Once at the bank, Nafis recorded a “video statement to the American public” in which he allegedly said: “‘We will not stop until we attain victory or martyrdom.’”
Only then Nafis discovered that his alleged bomb was a dud.
“Nafis then repeatedly, but unsuccessfully, attempted to detonate the bomb, which had been assembled using the inert explosives provided by the undercover agent,” prosecutors said. He was arrested.
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:153
By : AFP
HANOI: Vietnam and Japan must “play a more active role” in maintaining regional peace and security, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said in the face of growing maritime tensions with China. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:86
By : AFP
ALGIERS: Algerian troops surrounded Islamists holding foreign hostages at a gas field on Thursday, a day after a deadly attack the gunmen said was in reprisal for Algeria’s cooperation in French operations in Mali. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:86
By : AFP
JAKARTA: Waist-deep floods brought the Indonesian capital Jakarta to a standstill on Thursday, with roads impassable, thousands of homes under water and the president forced to roll up his trousers at the palace. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:55
By : AFP
WASHINGTON, D.C.: President Barack Obama on Wednesday (Thursday in Manila) demanded an assault weapons ban and universal background checks for gun buyers as part of sweeping gun control measures in response to the Newtown school massacre. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:47
By : AFP
NO SUFFICIENT EVIDENCE TO ARREST PAKISTAN PMISLAMABAD: The head of Pakistan’s anti-corruption watchdog told the Supreme Court on Thursday he did not yet have enough evidence to move against Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf and 15 Read more