TOKYO: Japanese police are probing allegations that a US serviceman assaulted a teenager after breaking into his home in Okinawa, reports said on Friday, despite a nationwide military curfew.
The allegations come just weeks after the United States put all 47,000 of its military staff stationed in Japan—both in Okinawa and elsewhere—under an indefinite nighttime curfew in response to the alleged rape of an Okinawan woman by two US servicemen. The pair were arrested last month.
The rape case stoked already high tensions in Okinawa, which has seen angry demonstrations against the US deployment to the island of the tilt-rotor Osprey aircraft, which local activists charge has a poor safety record.
On Friday, public broadcaster NHK and other Japanese media said that the unidentified 24-year-old serviceman entered an apartment above the village pub where he had been drinking and then slapped a teenage resident.
The soldier, who allegedly became violent at the bar before the incident early on Friday morning, then jumped out the home’s third-floor window, sustaining injuries that required hospitalization, reports said.
Police in Okinawa could not immediately confirm the reports.
Foreign Minister Koichiro Gemba described the alleged incident as “outrageous”, with Jiji Press news agency reporting that US ambassador to Japan John Roos would be summoned to the foreign ministry later on Friday.
Following the arrest of two US naval personnel, both 23, on charges of raping and injuring a woman last month, US Assistant Secretary of State Kurt Campbell issued a “heartfelt apology” for the incident which he called “profoundly, deeply regrettable”.
Okinawa is home to around half of the US troops stationed in Japan under a treaty signed after World War II, when Tokyo was stripped of the right to wage war.
The heavy troop presence has long fuelled resentment against both Tokyo and Washington in Okinawa, which was under US control from 1945 to 1972.
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:150
By : AFP
HANOI: Vietnam and Japan must “play a more active role” in maintaining regional peace and security, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said in the face of growing maritime tensions with China. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:85
By : AFP
ALGIERS: Algerian troops surrounded Islamists holding foreign hostages at a gas field on Thursday, a day after a deadly attack the gunmen said was in reprisal for Algeria’s cooperation in French operations in Mali. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:85
By : AFP
JAKARTA: Waist-deep floods brought the Indonesian capital Jakarta to a standstill on Thursday, with roads impassable, thousands of homes under water and the president forced to roll up his trousers at the palace. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:54
By : AFP
WASHINGTON, D.C.: President Barack Obama on Wednesday (Thursday in Manila) demanded an assault weapons ban and universal background checks for gun buyers as part of sweeping gun control measures in response to the Newtown school massacre. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:46
By : AFP
NO SUFFICIENT EVIDENCE TO ARREST PAKISTAN PMISLAMABAD: The head of Pakistan’s anti-corruption watchdog told the Supreme Court on Thursday he did not yet have enough evidence to move against Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf and 15 Read more