WASHINGTON, D.C.: Nearly two months after a deadly attack on a US consulate in Libya, a bitter row is still raging over who is to blame for the security breakdown, with the spotlight now shifting to the Central Intelligence Agency’s (CIA) role.
President Barack Obama, the State Department and the Pentagon have come under fire since the September 11 assault in Benghazi that killed US ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.
Republican supporters of Oba-ma’s rival Mitt Romney pounced on the issue in a hard-fought presidential campaign, keeping it in the spotlight.
John McCain and other Republican senators called for Senate Armed Forces Committee hearings to address whether there was sufficient military personnel in place in Benghazi at the time of the attack.
Due to the clandestine nature of its work, the CIA was initially spared from scrutiny, but now the spy service and its director, former US Army general David Petraeus, are on the defensive.
The Wall Street Journal sugges-ted that the CIA’s fixation with secrecy may have led to confusion over security at the compound and crossed signals with the State Department.
According to the report, the US Benghazi mission was essentially a CIA operation instead of a diplomatic post, and most staff worked for the spy agency.
The State Department believed that there was a formal agreement the CIA would provide back-up security in an emergency, but the intelligence service had a different view, the paper said.
The focus on the CIA reflects fresh questions about the spy service’s response as well as a turf war inside the government bureaucracy, as officials seek to shield their departments from criticism.
Intelligence officials took the unusual step of giving reporters a timeline of events, which they said showed that the CIA acted swiftly and decisively.
“The officers on the ground in Benghazi responded to the situation on the night of 11 and 12 September as quickly and as effectively as possible,” a senior intelligence official said.
The intelligence official also rejected allegations the agency had failed to coordinate with the State Department.
But, contrary to what some State Department officials believed that the cooperation occurred “without formal interagency arrangements,” the official said.
“If you’re on the ground in a dangerous place, you partner up. And that’s exactly what happened in Benghazi,” the official added.
Officials also defended the role of Petraeus, saying that he was “fully engaged from the start,” especially in the rescue mission.
Petraeus was faulted by some for choosing not to appear at a ceremony marking the return of the bodies of the slain CIA employees and for attending the premiere of the film “Argo” the day lawmakers grilled the State Department over the attack.
The CIA chief stayed away from the ceremony at Dover Air Force Base because the three officers’ link to the agency had been kept secret and attending may have blown their cover, officials told the Journal.
An army general who rose to fame as commander of US troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, Petraeus “receives daily updates on the issue and personally reviewed intelligence reports after the attack,” the official said.
“This idea that he is somehow not engaged is baseless.”
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:150
By : AFP
HANOI: Vietnam and Japan must “play a more active role” in maintaining regional peace and security, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said in the face of growing maritime tensions with China. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:85
By : AFP
ALGIERS: Algerian troops surrounded Islamists holding foreign hostages at a gas field on Thursday, a day after a deadly attack the gunmen said was in reprisal for Algeria’s cooperation in French operations in Mali. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:85
By : AFP
JAKARTA: Waist-deep floods brought the Indonesian capital Jakarta to a standstill on Thursday, with roads impassable, thousands of homes under water and the president forced to roll up his trousers at the palace. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:54
By : AFP
WASHINGTON, D.C.: President Barack Obama on Wednesday (Thursday in Manila) demanded an assault weapons ban and universal background checks for gun buyers as part of sweeping gun control measures in response to the Newtown school massacre. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:46
By : AFP
NO SUFFICIENT EVIDENCE TO ARREST PAKISTAN PMISLAMABAD: The head of Pakistan’s anti-corruption watchdog told the Supreme Court on Thursday he did not yet have enough evidence to move against Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf and 15 Read more